• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whitefish Bay-Lakers, Walleyes, Crappies, Perch and Pike.

I had a great trip to Whitefish Bay, Ontario's awesome part of LOW! The trip started out Cold with temps in the -20 to -30 range, not much time for photos and the fish were kept in the water so not to freeze their eyes. Releasing them in this way is the way to go. The trip got better with the temps climbing to the upper 20's and even a low 30 day. Photos became possible and we took advantage of it.

The lake trout were hanging in the 45-70 feet of water for the most part, we made use of tube jigs, and various other jigs. The largest laker of the trip bested the 37 inch mark on the tape and was indeed an awesome fish. Iced and released by "Martinson", this was an extremely beautiful fish caught while fishing walleyes on a "hump" in 42 feet of water.

Martinsonslaker.jpg

The most common trout caught were from 27 -32 inches, with fish like this one caught by "bigchip1"

prettyboyonWhitefishBay.jpg

The walleye fishing was cut short by the fact that they were in 45-55 feet of water and releasing them was not easy, we opted to only catch enough for shore lunch and moved on. We landed fish up to 19 inches, using angel eyes and go devils, they work as well there as anywhere. Fishing with a local, I gave him a few of the go devils and angel eyes, telling him the redish pink go devil in glow red would out perform anything he had. I'm happy to report, he tried it and told me "man, they really go for that thing, what did you call it?".

To change up the day, we took advantage of some crappie fishing icing many 10 - 13 inch fish. The 16 inchers of the past years I think mus have died of old age, it looks good for the upcoming years with many year classes present. Here's a typical crappie! Neat thing they were

in less than 20 feet of water, releasing was easy!

StompersWhopper.jpg

We caught several perch, none in the "jumbo" range, however it was also a nice change of pace.

Other fish included a pout and this nice pike I landed using a go devil jigging for walleyes!

CPRPike.jpg

Looking forward to my next Ontario trip,

Hemlock, sorry I didn't make it up, was a bit cold on the weekend. Looking to come up again on the 6th of March, Brent

Brent, I was bummed I never got an email from you leading up to your trip, at least I didn't hear anything from you once I gave you the gps coords. Oh well, March we might have to try it again.

Great photos, and sounds like a good multi species week. Were the lakers finicky, or did you really spank them? This time of year, they can be not as numerous.

Great post, thanks for sharing. Who was the local?

crazy.gifMan, I wish you hadn't mentioned that I wished to put it off til next year! This site is just wayyyy tooooo powerful. grin.gif I got the word that I got to go to work next week for some school stuff. frown.gif Can't go afterall. Going to try to get up to LOW for the event next weekend though. You gotta be careful what others think you wish for, it just might come true! grin.gif

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif Tomorrow we fish the "Cool Cats" get together! Hope to see you there!!!