• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Advice

1Yogi

Question

Ok I have a 30lb thrust MinnKota Powermax Transom mount. As you may or mat not know it dosen't work. To rebuils the lower unit is $39.50 Plus $15.00 Diagnostic charge. Total 54.50 dollars. A brand new Endura Transom mount same power is on sale at Gander mountain for $89.00 What would you do? Fix the one or get a new one with a warrenty?

9 answers to this question

I just rebuilt mine (sounds like the same unit). Apparently one of the seals had failed and it had water inside. The process took about 10 minutes, and I think the parts were something like $24 (from Dey Appliance in Duluth)
Basically, just pull everything out, Let everything sit out in a dry area for a few day, wipe it down, and replace the seals, the brushes, and the assembly that hold the brushes and bearing.

Reagrding the diagnostics, first thing to check is to pull the lower unit apart and see if there is water inside. If so, the repair I described in the other post should solve the problem.

This seems a common occurence on the Endura line of MinnKota's. (the cheap-o ones that are available at Wal-Mart, etc, for under $100)

You do get what you pay for. I had an Endura that lasted only 2 years. Same thing, bad seal and water in the motor.

My other Minnkotas have lasted 7 and 8 years respectively.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

In their defense I must say mine was likely caused by some line getting caught on the prop and the fact that I dont think I got it all off. However, you are right UJ, you get what you pay for. By the way, how old was your endura, and did you get rid of it? They are pretty easy to fix.

I looks as though I damaged a bearing when the Lower Unit hit the deck. Gander Mountain had the same model for 79.00 as a closeout, So I bought it and now have a Parts motor. The extra $25.00 was worth the expense for the new Warrenty in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 06-16-2004).]

My .02 on the endura.. I recently bought a 50 lb thrust transom on a 42" shaft (at 199$). when turned 90 deg. and then turned to wide open, it sounded like the plastic mount was going to pieces the first time I did a manuver like this. I returned it.

Well, I bought a 50# Endura as described above to replace the 40#.

It has a whole lotta thrust, just as described above. When you crank it wide open, the bracket can barely handle it all, and yes, it sounds like its going to pieces.

I gave the other one to a buddy, and he fixed it.

I'll keep this one. It's got plenty of power. I just hope the bracket lasts as long as the motor does.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]