• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One more trailer light problem

Granny

Question

They may have to start another forum for just trailer wiring. I did a search and went through most of the posts and didn't find my problem, so please help.

All my lights work but when I turn my blinker on both sets of lights start blinking. Is this a ground problem? Is the wiring supposed to be grounded (white) at the hitch? Currently the wiring just comes straight from the side (yellow) lights and goes to the plug. Any ideas on what I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Granny

8 answers to this question

Drill a small hole in the frame. Attach a circle connector to the wire and use a sheet metal screw to attach it to the frame. You can put dielectric grease in the hole and on the screw. I use Liquid Tape to protect the wire and connector.

If your trailer has the tilt option, you might want to check out that area and clean it up if there's too much rust or corrosion. I've seen where guys have put a jumper wire from the trailer frame to the tongue post.

After I cut the wire, which end do I attach to the hitch and what do I do with the cut end that I didn't attach?

Thanks everyone for the info!

Granny

When you step on the brake, do your trailer lights go dim?

That'd be a sure sign of a faulty ground, amongst many.

If both lights are flashing normaly with the turn signal operation, and all side marker lights stay the same brightness, then I would say there may be some other issue causing the problem.

Are your connectors (male or female) corroded at all?

The trailer ground wire at the connector on your trailer plugs into the connector on your tow vehicle, and the ground wire on the tow vehicle is typically grounded underneath somewhere to an unpainted area on the frame of the vehicle.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 06-14-2004).]