• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Changing oil on Yamaha F75?

Johnsonator

Question

I am about to change the oil for the first time on my F75. I read the manual and it seems like a messy job. My question and concern is, does the oil just run all over when you pull the plug. I wish there were some kind of extention hose to empty it. Just wondering what to expect before I change it. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Johnsonator,

I cannot speak for the Yamaha, but on my Suzuki I made a little extension spout from the top of an old plastic bottle of Iso Alcohol fuel additive. It also helps to get the oil pan right up there too. I use an old bar stool that is just the right height. Again, not sure on the Yamaha but on the Suzuki I also had a problem with oil all over the place when I took the filter off. After that first messy time I now go to the bother of taking the cowling off of that side (4 screws no big deal). After the cowling is off, I stuff paper towels in all of the crevices under the filter to catch the oil from the filter.

Hope this helps.

I changed the oil on my F75 for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

I pulled the plug, then held a 5 gallon bucket under it to catch the oil.

I think next time I'll rig a funnel with a hose on it. (beer bong style)

One thing you should watch is filling the oil. Put in 4 quarts, then add the fifth a little at a time and check the dipstick.

What kind of boat did you put it on? Does yours have any vibrations running the motor at trolling speeds or idleing in forward?

Thanks for the replys, I guess I will just try to catch the oil in a bucket and go from there. My motor seems like it does have a little vibration at idle and slow speeds with out giving it any gas. I believe my does that because the idle is set too low. Sometimes it will kill because it is too low. I am going to bump up the idle this week. I put my motor on a 1750 fish hawk tiller and so far I love the set up. Does your seem like it is a low Idle vibration or something else?

I have a Merc 75 4 stroke that is basically the same thing I believe. Tilt motor up slightly and turn motor so hole will be facing down. I only have to have a pan sitting on the ground and the oil runs out just fine.

Wavewacker:

That is great advice. I have changed oil twice on my Yamaha F115 and it makes a mess. I will give the tilting method a whirl next time I change oil!!!

Thanks!

SUNNYD

Put down plenty of old newspapers before you do the job. I did mine in the garage and even without wind, it was everywhere. It comes out real fast and a good flow too.

Easier to throw away newspapers than clean up the mess.