• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sealine/depthmaster combo

walleyewacker

Question

I am condsidering buying on of these combos but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I want to pull a board with the rod but want to longline with it as well. Are the planer board models too heavy to longline and are the trolling/downrigger rods too light for boards, will one or the other work for both? Also, will the 17 size reel be big enough to handle about anything or is it best to step up to the 27? thanks

2 answers to this question

Not sure what to say about the rod length. As far as reel size it seems like alot of guys like the 27 or 47 size for trolling boards even tho the 17 looks like it would hold anough line for this.
I picked up 2 sealine 17's this winter. Not to sure what to say about them. One is broken and un usable all ready. Going to be sending it in for repairs soon.
They both seemed to be a little quirky to use. When the free spool lever was flipped you then have to back spool the spool with your thumb just a hair before it would free spool. Not sure if this is a manfuntion or maybe a extra feature to prevent the spool from letting out line with out you knowing about it.
They both also seemed to have a quirk about if the handle was in a certian position you could not flip the free spool lever. A little turn of the handle and it was good to go again. But this was still annoying and the reel was a little hard for someone not used to it to use.
The 27's I fished with last fall did not seem to have any of these quirks and where a very easy real to fish with.

I can't comment on the SeaLines, but I purchased two Shimano Tekota 500 Line Counters this spring and matched them with St. Croix Glass rods and they have worked very well. I think they will be reels that I will have for a long time. All Metal construction gives me confidence that it can take the abuse that I dish out.

Take care!

SUNNYD