• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine Plywood

Wavey Davey

Question

Anyone know where to buy marine plywood?
I suppose any lumber yard could order it, but does anyplace stock it? I'm going to be replacing the deck on a pontoon soon, could use just treated, but figure I should do it right if I'm going to spend the labor time.
North Metro area or Mora area?
Thanks

10 answers to this question

there is a place in the old nord east area.over by the old Brain Belt brewery.
I got some there a few years back. but of course I can't think of the name.

------------------
Crappie it's not just a fish it's a attitude!

IBOT #23

I'm searchin' for the same thing. I might check out Spring Lake Park Lumber Co. off of Hwy 10 and Hwy 65. What about the Rum River Lumber Co? Hmmm, not sure. I'll be doing some snooping. I'll get back to you when I find something out.

I did find this information online but it doesn't give any locations. Great for an idea of what to look for though.

http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/marine-plywood.html

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 06-07-2004).]

Rum River Lumber in Coon Rapids carries both 1/2 and 3/4 inch around $50 and $80 respectively, for a 4X8 sheet. I think Menards or Home Depot will special order 3/4 inch for about $90.

Fish On! grin.gif
The Fishin' Engineer

Thanks guys. Rum River Lumber is near my house so I'll go there. I knew it was spendy stuff. I hope to remove the old deck this weekend so I'll know the thickness to get.
It's a small 16' pontoon, 8'x12' deck, three sheets should do it. Once again FM comes through, what a great HSOforum!

[This message has been edited by Wavey Davey (edited 06-07-2004).]

IFalls is right. In fact what we've found at the shop when we do a floor is that the factory doesn't even use green treated. Just standard plywood. Green treated has a bad tendency to warp and is also more likely to crack. We've had the best results using the BC grade. Contrary to popular beleif, it's not the bottom side where the rot starts, its the top side. When the carpet gets wet, it holds the moisture in and it soaks into the wood and sits there and stews in it's own little greenhouse. Under the seats is really bad too because the carpet wicks the moisture under there and then it just sits there with no ventilation. The underside actually dries much quicker, because it has good ventilation under there. What we do at the shop when we replace a floor, is to coat the topside with a good quality resin before we lay down the carpet. We can treat the underside but it's really unneccesarry because the top side will go before the bottom side rots anyway. As I've said before, good maintainence and care are the best preventative treatments you can give your boat.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

[This message has been edited by Steve Bakken (edited 06-07-2004).]

Thanks guys. You just saved me some time. Rum River Lumber isn't far from me either. But I'll need to wait a couple weeks before I can afford the wood.

It wasn't Shearer, I think Stewart sounds right. but you seem to have pleanty of help here now anyway.

------------------
Crappie it's not just a fish it's a attitude!

IBOT #23