• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Problem, Please Help!!

Question

Bout 2 years ago I was out on Bald Eagle lake doing some fishing. The winds were up and the water was pretty choppy. Well what happened was I was going against the waves and then all of a sudden I heard the engine overrev, I think the motor came out of the water for second or se then I lost speed. The engine still works but when I engage the throttle, the boat BARELY goes. I was luck to make it back to shore!
Any ideas as to what might have happened?

Oh, the boat is a OLD fiberglass boat and the motor is a 30 hp motor with electric start.

Sincerely,
Too Poor To Afford a new boat / motor

Remember he said he inspected the prop and said that the pin is fine.

I don't get it. If it is a pin held prop then there is no prop hub to strip or wear. Just a pin that shears that goes through the prop and the shaft that connects to the drive rod that is in the lower unit.

I thought it was either or, and not a combo of both when it comes to shear pin or hub props???

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 06-07-2004).]

Perhaps the pin he is refering to is the codder pin that goes through the prop nut and prevents the prop nut from loosening and coming off the with centrifugal motion. That would mean it is not an actual sheer pin system.

So if that's the case, you guys would be 110% correct.

Sorry for my "out loud" thinking.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

I'll try to take some digital pictures tonight of the unit and post it up for you guys to see.
When I took the prop off, All I see is the pin and the shaft that the pin goes in to. Nothing else is exposed.
The prop "I'm assuming you mean propeller" looks fine. I took it off and looked at it and everything looked fine.

Is there anyone willing to come out to Oakdale to help? hehe..
I will be willing to exchange labor, your's for mine?

I'm a computer genious so anything you need done with computers I can do for you for FREE if you want to exchange some labor?
All the parts, if needed, I will pay for

Hey web, maybe we can trade up services. I do work in Plymouth and may be able to make it your way...Tues and Thurs afternoons are best for me. Or did you get any pics of the lower unit that you can email?

As for my PC, I have a copy of XP but the problem is I have a bunch of hunting and fishing pics, hunting logs, and a few start drafts to a few book ideas. I've yet to have burned onto a CD and I hate to loose them. I also would hate to have to copy them all to disk via DOS.

I reloaded WIN98 a few years ago and the files I had at that location at the time stuck. I have them under a separate file in c:files/ that I created. If I upgrade to XP will it keep files on the hard drive not connected directly to windows?

webwarrior, Try the things I suggested and give me an answer on the prop nut and sounds your here.

Buckblaster, If you have a partitioned hard drive move the files over that you want saved and format C: and do a clean install. If you don't have a partition install Win 98 over itself and it'll replace the missing files.

Take the plug wires off and put the engine in gear. Try to spin the propeller around and see if the engine turns over. Try it both directions (sometimes the gears ratchet and don't grab the shaft pinion. Try both gears, forward and reverse. If the engine spins, then try blocking the propeller with a two by four and see if you can spin the engine over by hand. It should take a lot of pressure before the prop bushing gives, if it doesn't seem connected, find out the weak link.

Web...I have been trying to extract the cab files and put them back by looking at the registry using a few tips I found on a couple of hacker websites related to VXD files. It's just that I love DOS so much I might just operate from there from now on...yeah right!

ST...wish I could access Windows to move the files. Without the VXD files Win won't startup...not even in safe mode. I have been reduced to DOS. I have partitioned the files in a sense that they're still under the C: drive but have no connection to any system files for Windows. This I believe is why they stayed last time I reinstalled. The kicker is, I no longer have access to the copy of Win98 I used in the past. It had been a company computer and I purchased it on the company's equipment sale. I have XP but installing that program may wipe out the files.

Okay...enough PC talk...this is an outdoor HSOforum...how about that boat Web?

ok,
Sorry I've been away from this post. I got hit in the eye on Monday night and have been in the emergency room ever since. I'm still seeing double vision so thats not too cool.
So, working with ONE eye and double vision,
I've taken the cover off and put the engaged the gear. I spun the prop and the engine spins in both directions. I checked the spark plugs and THEY ARE BLACK so I know I need to replace those for sure. As for the Carbs, I don't know how to take it apart and clean them. I tried to dink around with them but me working with the motor is like
Buckblaster working in DOS.

Buck, if your serious about trading labor, "Me fixing your computer and you fixing my boat" email me at teng.xiong @ comcast dot net Or give me a call at
651-773-4023 and ask for Teng.
Hopefully out of all of this, you'll be a happy computer owner and I will be able to go out fishing!

Surface Tension,
When I spin the prop with the cover off, I don't hear any grinding or anything of that sort which is confusing to me.
The best I can discribe it is while in the water, if I go 2-4 mph, the boat goes but if I try to engage it into highspeed, it seems as if something slips and the engine just revs up. I know its hard for you guys to try to trouble shoot with me when I know nothing of boats and all that you guys have given me is appreciated!!!

This is what my motor looks like but intead of having 25hp, mine has 33.

motor.jpg

[This message has been edited by webwarrior (edited 06-09-2004).]

[This message has been edited by webwarrior (edited 06-09-2004).]

Surface
Everything looks snug and clean. Other then some fishing line that was stuck on it but was cleared.

Oh, being that the boat is a 1970 and the motor is a 33hp johnson 2 stroke, do I need to add oil to the gas?

Surface,
I'll do that this week-end or next week once I get my vision back and not crossed eyed from being hit in the eye~
Also, I'll try to oil mix, maybe thats the problem?

Ok, so now that I've cleaned the carb, got new plugs, and everything, I decided to test it on a lake and guess what happened? The boat got me to the middle of the lake and left me stranded. =/ So I've decided to take the boat in and have them fix it. There goes the hunting fund!!!

Thanks for all who helped out with suggestions! Much is appreciated!

How many ounces of 2 cycle TCW 3 oil did you mix in with your gas, and with how many gallons of gas?

If you had been running this motor on straight gasoline at all, then I am not optimistic on the odds of a successful recovery.

Did you check the lower unit gear lube as ST suggested? What were your findings with this? Was there any white milky drainage from the lower unit? (indication of water in the lower unit) Was there alot of metal particals or shavings on the magnet?

When you refilled the lower gear unit, did you fill from the drain screw until lube came out the vent (top) screw, then reinstall the top screw first to prevent any air pockets?

When you reinstalled the carbs, were there any ripples/waves or missing chunks of the gasket that seals around the air box that attaches to the front of the carbs?

When the motor started (the 1st time at the ramp) did it start, idle, and run better/worse then before?

When you accelerated from the access, did it accelerate/throttle up better/worse then before?

Did you acheive more then 1/2 throttle before the motor left you stranded? How far did you go?

When it stalled, did it just shut off, "putter out", bog down, or make any noises?

When you attempted to restart, did the motor turn over easily or was it difficult?

When the motor eventually restarted, did it seem to run on one cylinder? Run rough? Backfire?

Do you have a compression tester or know someone you can borrow one from to check your compression in each cylinder?

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 06-14-2004).]

UJ,
I did a 50:1 ratio on the gas.

Yeah, I checked the lower unit, I couldn;t tell what from what was there so I just put it back together. There were no metal particles that I could see.

Refill the lower unit? Uh, I didn't know I had to refill it.

As for the Carbs, NO.

The motor would start for then took me about 300 yards then left me stranded and wouldn;t start again. The battery drained from repeated attempts.

When I accelerated, I only got 2-4 mph before the prop would stop thrusting.

The motor just puttered down and then wouldn;t start again.

It turned over just fine. It just seemed like there wasn;t enough gas to the motor. I had to manually hold the choke at the motor to get it to start.
When it did start, it ran pretty rough.