• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HIGH PRIORITY: Outboard motor problem

CALVINIST

Question

Hi,

I was out fishing the full moon last night. When I got to the launch from about 3 miles out from my fishing spot, I noticed an ominous cloud of smoke and hot engine smell coming from from my motor shocked.gif. When I pulled her out, I noticed that the area just below the head was pretty hot. I put on about 15 miles total that night, going from spot to spot, and didn't experience that problem at all, nor at any other time since I've had the boat. What could be going on? I have a 35 horse Johnson, probably at least 20 years old. I just changed the lower unit lube and spark plugs this spring.

I am going to Vermillion in one week with my family, and must address this problem immediately.

Thanks,

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

8 answers to this question

A similar thing happened to me once. Turned out I needed a new impeller for the water pump. Wasn't getting any water up to cool the engine and it started smoking a little. Also started making a lot of noises that didn't sound normal so I shut it off and trolled back to port. Put the new impeller in and it worked fine.

Nick

Replace the impeller then run it in a tank, or better yet a local lake a day before you take your trip.

The only motor I had overheat was coming off lake Millacs.. but I was at full throttle and I didnt know it was hot... My pistons were *Lava Rocks* by the time I got to the access.

Just be sure all is well before you hit the big lake with your family. Its unlikely that you have damage to that extent, but it happens.

This might sound silly but did you check the water intake screen? It can be easy to run through a patch of floating weeds when boating at night, and sometimes if you don't look closely you wont see it's plugged. Just a quick something to check before you replace the impeller.

Better replace the water pump impeller and since the lower unit has to be pulled of to do so, check the bottom engine seal at the same time, I had one stop pumping water and it took out the engine seal from the heat.

Regards,

Scott Lee

Once again, thanks fellow F.M.er's! Forums is a great place to go to get answers, otherwise, I would still be floundering around, wondering what the problem is. I found an impeller for $15.00. Now I just have to get it in. See new post.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>