• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

So I have a DWI that is 4+ years old and I may be looking to head into Canada via Rainy Lake in August via boat. In reading this I think it is my understanding that I will need to do two things. Apply for a temp. permit since it is between 3-5 years and then get a RABC. I am wondering can I go to a border crossing station in I Falls and get all this done in one day ahead of time? If I go there, bring all the information, pay the fine and fees will they process the paper work and issue the RABC? I was thinking of doing this a few weeks prior to needing it. Will that work?

I didn't see this covered anywhere but if it was I apologize.

Thanks!

So I have a DWI that is 4+ years old and I may be looking to head into Canada via Rainy Lake in August via boat. In reading this I think it is my understanding that I will need to do two things. Apply for a temp. permit since it is between 3-5 years and then get a RABC. I am wondering can I go to a border crossing station in I Falls and get all this done in one day ahead of time? If I go there, bring all the information, pay the fine and fees will they process the paper work and issue the RABC? I was thinking of doing this a few weeks prior to needing it. Will that work?

I didn't see this covered anywhere but if it was I apologize.

Probably not in the time frame you'd like if at all. I'd contact the Canadian customs office in Fort Frances first and ask them.

Thanks!

I think the common answer is a "reasonable amount for your trip"...I'm not sure of any exact amounts, but I know for a fact friends/relatives who have islands up here bring many(5-8) extra 5 gallon cans....is that reasonable because they are going to be spending two weeks on an island, in my opinion yes.

I think bringing what you'll need is the norm.

Need some help with a Canadian/US border crossing question. My wife and I are making our annual trip to Canada later this summer. We have our passports and know pretty much what we need to do. This year we would like to take our 12 year old grandson. I know this gets tricky when anyone crosses with children. Questions: Will he need a passport or will a birth certificate suffice? What documentation do we need to prove he is our grandson? Is there a HSOforum or reference I can check to find out how this all works? Thanks for any suggestions/answersw.

For Ontario Nonresident: Annual is $66.40; annual conservation license (generally half the normal possession limit) is $40.64; 8 Day (must be consecutive days) $42.62; and 8 day conservation is $24.78. Can't help with what other pvovinces charge. Good Luck on your trip.

speaking of Canada fishin; 3 of us are lookin for a 4th for a trip during the 1st week of June, 2009. One of our parteners is unable to make it then. I travel from western SoDak to the Albert Lea area and meet up with 2 others and we go from there. We fish above Armstrong, Ontario, fly in for 8 days. Great northern and walleye. If anyone is interested in the details, contact me GRNKPR @AOL.COM. There are a few "can & can nots".

Yes, until June 1, I believe. I need to get mine, as we are entering in May, but coming back to the USA in June. I whole heartedly support this measure, as long as they "strictly" enforce it on the southern border. The passport thing is a good deal.

If a person just got there criminal record expunged from a couple of convictions seven years ago, do you still have to disclose any info to the border agent when asked if you had any prior convictions?

And if yes, do you suppose that person would have to jump through the hoops in Canada to get rehabilitation there also?

Why not just have a criminal background check ran on yourself and see if something pops up. I would think the local police department would do this or a lawyer could do it. Would be cheaper in the long run and you would know what to expect.

June 1, 2009. Go the the US Border Patrol site. You can do a passport ($100), a passport card ($45), or an enhanced driver's license ($15 to $30), depending on your state. Both the passport and card are good for ten years. The passport allows air, land, and sea reentry back into the USA. The card is good for land and sea reentry only. The enhanced driver's license doesn't appear to be available for any of us, i.e. ND, NE, MN, etc.

**Disclaimer**

This is how I interpreted it grin

A friend of mine made it through one time, however it was kind of a drawn out deal. He was never convicted of it, but was still on his record.

You may want to call them (Canada) before you go and get verification. I don't exactly know what their requirements are for theft.

Felony theft over 10K and you are NEVER allowed into Canada..Under 10K and you have the normal "waiting" period..If he's passed the 5-10year time frame he should be fine..It WILL cause you a slow down with a long questioning period in the "back room" though.. grin