• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

About a year ago our travel agent received information that they would be required starting Dec 31, 2006 however, I recently heard this may have been pushed back to June 1, 2008. I brought this to her attention and she is looking into it as I write this. I will pass along the details once I get confirmation.

Was up to Wiley Point over the weekend. We had two guys get sent back at Baudett(sp?) crossing. One guy was as recent as New Years and another was a few years old. The guy said 0-3 years don't even try. We were lucky and had a car in tow that they went back in so the other 12 of us could go on. On the way back they came into the motor home, looked at the packages of fish for about 5 seconds and said have a good day. Its nice to get back in that easy, but it also kind of makes me mad that its that easy to get back in. They are trained to find the guys the need to spend more time with. We were not those guys, so maybe the system works fine. I plan to get a passport soon just to be sure its ready to rock on January 1. I suggest anybody going to Canada with a DWI check things out up front, don't chance it for youself or the group.

I found the official details about this at the US Department of State and the US Customs and Border Protection agency. You can search for their websites and check their FAQs to see it yourself.

As of today, the current “proposed” policy being implemented will require US citizens to present a valid passport upon entry or re-entry into the United States from Canada beginning December 31, 2006 for air and sea entry and December 31, 2007 for land-based border crossings.

I checked at the Canadian Embassy HSOforum among other areas and have not found any indication that Canada is considering changes to their current requirements.

Bob

OK, I am an (Contact Us Please), but we are planning on going to Canada this Fall. My Dad got a DUI in the last year, but will not be driving. I assume I know the answer to this, but is there any diff if the guy who has the DUI on his record is not driving? I assume not, but this is starting to stress me out. Sorry for the stupid question...too lazy to read everything again tongue.gif

A DUI is a fellony in Canada therefore they will not allow them into the country. There are some permits that have previously been discussed on this thread. So according to what marine man was told from Canadian customs in the following your dad is out of luck for 3 years. Here is the quote from Marine Man's post on the previous page.

Quote:

Here's a general guideline from Hemlock's post on page 1:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that after 10 years, as long as you have not had another offense DUIs went off your record...is this true?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it is true. I called Customs this morning to confirm.

As long as that was your only offense, 10 years, and you are clear.

1-3 years, deemed inadmissable.

3-5 years, apply for temp permit ($200)

5-10 years, apply for rehabilitation permit ($200) and good for 5 years.

It all probably depends on if they run your information or not...

marine_man

i have a DWI that I got almost 2 years ago now and we go to canada at least once a year. Last june i went and they asked for my ID and i gave it to them. the officer looked at each one of our IDs but did not scan them! got lucky real lucky but even if i did get caught we would drive an hour n a half to baudet and cross there.

big D you might think you'll drive a hour an half to cross but the truth of the matter is you WILL get DENIED and be in big trouble my uncle tried this tatic had heres what happened got denied for dwi's at intl fall drove to another border well they already knew it was him upon arrival and were ticked off what they do is they give a call and say so and so got denied watch out in a few hours for say a black suburban and bingo they said if he tries to get in w/out the correct papers a fine and possible jail time will be next....just an FYI

I went through customs at the Falls last week. They punched in the truck plates and asked for our driver's licenses. There were two of us. The guy scanned the licenses and then asked the usual questions about bait, guns, alcohol, potatoes, tobacco and so on. We were out of there in a couple of minutes. However, two acquaintances have been denied entry this summer for old misdeamnors on their records. They've been through a couple times before but not scanned or asked the question. This summer they weren't so lucky. It's a hit or miss deal.

2 questions:

1 Is admission with of an individual with a DUI at the discrestion of the border official or is it a firm policy of inadmission?

2 How long does it take to process a request for rehabilitation?

Thanks.

So even someone flies into Canada. They have to pay? What about the businessman going to Vancouver?

I personally do not have a DUI, but it seems like an abserd rule.

Maybe the USA could stop canadians at the border and ask them if they are in an area where there is legal marijuanna...if so charge them a fee. Or if they get free healthcare in Canada, charge them a fee in case they get hurt over here.

Or if they got a speeding ticket in Canada for going 20 over... the states could say they owe us more because its considerd reckless driving here.

I hope other countries dont start using the Canadian policy.

What country cuts off your hand for stealing? Maybe they will institute a policy...maybe just cutting off a finger or two if you stole something a some point in your life.

Eeeeeeeeeeeasy Hooked....The rule is quite cut and dry and I don't think it's too absurd in my humble opinion. The act of drinking while under the influence is deemed a felony in Canada. There's no slap on the wrist here, lose license for a year and a day and a heafty, heafty fine. Insurance hikes way up too. They are not taken lightly, hence the term felony.

Therefor, our Canada Customs has a job to do to keep convicted felons out of our country (with exceptions). Rape, murder, assault, drugs, dui, they all qualify.

Business man to Vancouver has to clear customs, just like the four guys in the pickup crossing at I-Falls to go fishing.

As to the health care idea, good one, but we are for the most part, covered in other countries under our existing health coverage, pretty sweet.

"Maybe the USA could stop canadians at the border and ask them if they are in an area where there is legal marijuanna...if so charge them a fee" Not sure what the solution is here....

Nor here...."Or if they got a speeding ticket in Canada for going 20 over... the states could say they owe us more because its considerd reckless driving here."

i think the system is a little unfair at times...

I have another question... what do you need if a kid is traveling across the border with an uncle is it just a piece of paper that gives them permission or what i have absolutely no clue so anything would help at least steer me in the right direction

That's a good question, with a bit of a "gray" answer. In the past, my wife and I have brought her brother up to Canada to spend a week or so with us. Her brother was 14-16 years old when we were bringing him up here.

We have brought notes on a peice of paper, hand written and signed by his father...this works most of the time, if they even ask, but I had one Customs officer tell me, "that this note could've been written by anyone. How do I know you didn't write this note?"

I guess, in theory she had a point, but I'm not really sure what forms or documentation is needed.

The note has worked for us in the past, one officer just made things a little more difficult for us, that's all.

Anyone.

Quote:

2 questions:

1 Is admission with of an individual with a DUI at the discrestion of the border official or is it a firm policy of inadmission?

2 How long does it take to process a request for rehabilitation?

Thanks.

Thanks again.

OCF,

Have the note signed by his/her legal guardian(s) and notarized. In the note state where the child is going, whith whom, contact phone numbers if customes has questions, for how long and that the guardian(s) is/are aware of and approve of the travels. Also make sure the child has a certified birth certificate. My wife and I have used the notarized note and birth certificate to send our son across with his grandparents and aunt, no troubles. Customs agents have actually thanked the grandparents for having all the proper documentation.

We were just in Canada and one of the guys in our party had a DUI in the last year. He decided he was going to take the chance of getting across. We stayed at a hotel in international falls the night before entering, and they told us to get to the border at about 630 am because they change shifts at about 7 am and they will be more lenient. They did ask for ID's but did not scan them. so he got through.

Hemlock...

I think I know the answer to this, but do you suppose there would be any leniency given to someone who got a dui over 8yrs ago that has submitted the necessary paper work/fee and is awaiting a response? I guess the only "claim" is that a good-faith effort is being made to comply with the laws & requirements.

Basscatcher, I would think that would hold up. Has the person been given an acknowledgement of receipt or anything? Any official paperwork that says it's in the works?

This is even if they pull your license AND run it through their system.

When crossing, there are three things that can happen.

1. They ask, how's it going, where you headed, any guns, pepperspray, how much alcohol/tobacco, yadda yadda, yadda, have a good day.

2. They ask for id (Which is the norm now) and they look at your birth certificate and/or driver's license and confirm you are the people that are on the documents/d.l. and then you are on your way.

3. They scan your d.l. and the history comes up. Then in your case you plead your case that you've filed for the rehabilitation forms and you take it from there...

Hope this helps.