• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

I sent me PP in for renewal earlier this year and the new one arrived in about 2 weeks. I'd check with US border control to see what you need if it's not back, but it seems that the return on a renewal is a lot quicker than the first-time application.

Hemlock, Can you help me with the HST rebate form? I have read several publications for GSTHST rebates and guide RC4033. I am lost as to filling out the proper form as I dont see a visitor from the Unites States fishing for two weeks at a Canadian lodge is identified in the GST189 or other forms. I need the proper form, the proper box to tic and how to get the form. The resort I stayed at had no forms and was unable to help.

I called 1 800 959 5525 but only got a recording. Possibly today is a holiday. I appreciate your assistance as you have helped me in the past. [email protected] FOX8MOOSE

I thought the rules had relaxed for DUI offenses...

Embarassed to say, I was cuffed in November of 2001 for DUI.

I even called the Rainy River border crossing to ensure I was ok to cross into Canada since 10 years elapsed. He said there was no issue and to enjoy my trip.

I went up a few weeks ago. The guy looked at me and said something was popping up on the screen and asked if I knew what it was.... I said, yes, I had a DUI 10 1/2 years ago. They had me pull over and took me inside. The guy said I was 6 months too early.....

Your rehabilitation doesnt officially begin until your sentence is completed..... I had 1 year of probation, which is considered part of the sentence... oh god...

He said, "I shouldnt do this, but I am going to turn a blind eye to this, and go have a good fishing trip."

WHEW!!!!!!!

So much for the relaxed rules....

What? That doesn't make sense you weren't "sentenced" to 10 years. I think he was just making you sweat a little bit...

Nope... the probation is still part of the sentence. He still had 6 months of probation left. Dumb, I know, but that's the way it is.

Quick question: my buddy crossed at Warroad in late May, he has 1 DUI on his record, 5 years ago. He was a passenger in the car and they didn't ask him about his record and he entered Canada with no issue. The new temp regulations say you cross one time this year if you have only one violation. My question is- has anyone with that 1 DUI crossed the border successfully more than once this year?

Thanks-

The new temp regulations say you cross one time this year if you have only one violation. My question is- has anyone with that 1 DUI crossed the border successfully more than once this year?

Thanks-

DUIs are a felony offense in Canada. CBSA does not allow inadmissiable felons into their country on a once per year basis. There are always exceptions to this rule but generally people with certain types of felony records may be granted a temporary waiver for something like 7-$800 at the officer's discretion. I wouldn't even think about travelling to Canada unless you had a spare $800, a few hours to spend at the border and a U.S. side backup plan if your entry is denied.

Yes, you're correct. A recent press release regarding Canada's Tourism Facilitation Action Plan got many people with DUIs excited about travelling to Canada again but peoples' criminal records can be interpreted in many different ways depending on who's looking at what. The bottom line is that the officer on duty is under no obligation to abide by this action plan and can legally prevent you from making entry for a number of criminal infractions. I really do hope that things improve for people trying to enter Canada who might have made some minor mistakes in the past but it's going to require more than a meaningless action plan to do it. More and more fishing and hunting resorts will need to close up before anything meaningful is done about it.

Thanks for your input guys. Sounds like the situation is still as muddy as ever. I guess he'll just have to give it a try and see. Luckily, he lives near the border so it won't be that big a deal if he gets turned back but will put a damper on our weekend.

Having a Nexus Card will cut out all the guess work. If you get one then you have been approved by both the U.S. and Canadian Governments ...Hope that helps

Rob

Yep, I posted info about the nexus card several times in this thread. the only way to go if you are worried.

Plain and simple if you have a DUI, just stay home. You can try to speculate all you want and cross your fingers, or even call the border and confirm it. None of that matters until the border guard lets you cross. They can make all the rules they want, but until they take away the clause stating “up to the discretion of the individual patrol” nothing will change. If I was Canadian tourism, I’d be pushing a LOT harder because the whole thing is ridiculous especially when the person in question is intended to be a passenger the entire trip.

I'm just jumping in here without reading the entire thread and will share an encounter we had this past winter while ice fishing at the Angle.

A zealous group (12 guy's) ranging in age from mid 30's to mid 40's from Indiana were staying at the same resort as us. We got to mingling one evening while cleaning fish. The pronounced bravado of the days imbibing was most evident. As we laughed and joked I had to ask if any of them had any trouble crossing the border.

I was assuming that one of them most likely would of had a prior alcohol related offense due to there consumption habits.

The fish cleaning shack got quiet as I awaited a response. The moist boisterous of the group replied, You would be better off asking how many did not have a previous alcohol related offense. Everyone started laughing. Turned out 2 of them were without violation.

I asked if they were detained at the border. The spokesman of the group replied that when the custom agent asked if anyone had any violations, they all raised there hands. I then asked if they were within the past 10 years and most of them said yes. They traveled in 3 vehicles and all were allowed to pass through.

The spokesman of the group explained that he assured the border agent that they were only passing through to the Northwest Angle to ice fish and would not be staying in Canada.

Just sharing this... Comments and or thoughts are welcome.

Scott

Scupper- just goes to show you that it is entirely up to the discretion of the agent on duty. My parent's have a cabin in the Morson area and his best friend goes up there a few times a year from the Twin Cities area and has been to the Angle many times. This past year when crossing at RR the agent asked him what he was headed up for and he said to fish and help work on the deck. As soon as he said the word "work" it raised all sorts of red flags including bringing up a DUI he had over 20 years ago. They ended up letting him through only after he paid the $200 rehabilitation fee and told him it was a one time deal. To get through again he'd have to go through the whole rehab process. He never did that and has been getting through fine since then. Just goes to show that you should chose your words very carefully.