• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

OK I have some questions for our fine friends across the boarder. I have a buddy that started coming up through Rainy River boarder crossing with his family for a 3 to 5 day fishing trip in August. The other night he asked if I would like to join them. I will be getting a pass port, but my questions are this. I will be 54 this coming week. I have had a felony and a DUI, but it's been 35 years since I've had them. The felony was a non violent crime (wrote a check a none assisting account) and haven't had anything since then. Can you tell me what I need to do or has their been enough time so I don't even have to worry about it. I don't think theirs even anything of a record on me since it's been so long. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

boxcar

I am 60. I had a DUI in 1977. Had a US Federal Felony conviction, white collar crime, Bank Fraud in 1993. Started going up there 3 years ago with no problems. Have been back each year. When we went up the first time, had a backup plan to fish in the US incase they won't let me across. Maybe just in case take a seperate vehicle in case they turn you back, but I guess from my standpoint, I don't see a proble. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

From what I understand, there are felonies that are just inadmissable at any time, regardless of how much time has passed. DUI is on the lighter side of those felonies. I would assume that you should be fine....but I would call the border station that you intend to cross well ahead of time. If they tell you that you will have no issue, make sure you get the agent's name and ask if he/she will be there on the date/time you cross. We had a similar issue where it was pre-arranged, but crossed the border a few hours earlier than we originally intended and at one point, had to wait until that guy arrived on duty. Eventually they more/less got tired of us and sent us on our way.

As odd as that sounds, it is no different than the US law enforcement officer that almost always gives warnings for speeding and the other one that issues tickets for the same...it just depends on the day and who is working. That being said, there are no black/white decisions on who they let in and who they don't. Gray area all the way around. Nerve racking for us wanting to go fishing for a week, but I respect how they do things.

In the end when you do show up, take your sunglasses off. Make positive eye contact. Be polite. Have your stuff organized (also known as having your p--p in a group) grin

boxcar46, it is completely dependant on the officer you get at the booth. He will make the initial decision on whether or not to send you inside to the immigration officer. Both countries computer systems are linked, so they have all your info. It is the officers call to reject your entry into the country, allow you in on a permit, which costs 200.00, or allow you in at no cost. If you have a felony on your record, I'm sure it will still show up. Be honest with them, have the details on the dates of your past convictions. Look them in the eye, be polite. Yes sir/maam goes a long way. Some are on power trips, most are not. Rainy sees a lot of americans with your situation, they will probably be a little easier to deal with then a larger port.

I am putting together a trip to Nipigon this summer. My boat had a 9'4" beam. I haul it all over MN and WI but I don't think it is legal (I know it's not).

Anyone know the maximum width of a boat to trailer and will I be stopped and rejected at the border?

Canada is getting my relax on border crossing

http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3468347

Its called "Tourism facilitation Action Plan" Just got off the phone with a Canadian border services agent. And as expected I was quoted the old rules for entry.

Plain and simple eithier do the paperwork for rehibilitaion after 5 years or longer depending on probation time, meaning 1st offence in Minnesota you would NOT be elgible for rehibilitation for 6-7 years, 5 for the crime and 2 for probation. If you have more than one offense, you have to hope they dont ask or run you through the computer.

I was hoping they would have somthing in writing on this new action plan.

So once again if it was your first offense for a DUI and you spent no jail time and it was 6-7 years ago

It still a maybe and you will have to book a trip and find out at the border.

If I'am completly wrong on this....please add any links to official documents.

Make 5 calls to the border and you will get 5 differnet answers. Dosnt give me a warm and fuzzy on booking a trip to Canada.

Lotta talk around this issue on other sites......nothing conclusive yet........

I've have a situation that could prevent me from crossing into Canada and last summer I started the "Rehabilitation" process with the help from a legal firm in Winnipeg. Little pricey, but it's peace of mind that I won't have to worry about getting help up and complicating a trip with friends or family. this new proposal wouldn't have taken care of my issue(s) had I known it was coming, but I'm hoping this proposal is true and becomes a reality.

the best way to find out if your admissible into canada is to apply for a NEXUS card. 50.00 for 5 years, you are pre-screened and cleared by both the u.s. and canada. If you can get a nexus card, you are good to go.

Hey Hemlock!! Ya better check the link you provided. Once at that site, most of the "important" links/info gets you the infamous "404 error".

I've been working for days trying to find ONE person who can tell me what's needed (exactly) for paperwork to begin the "rehabilitation" process for my lil' G.F.

WHAT A JOKE!!!

Not even the consulates have any idea what's going on!! Border info... Yea right!! They told me to call immigration, who told me to call the visa office that handles my area, who told me to call these folks, who told me to call these other folks who had no idea why I was calling even after a L-O-N-G wait on hold.... "Sorry, call back during business hours".

One person told us a cool $1K plus the $200 TRP fee would do the trick. Another told us to forget the fees and "give it a try" while yet another said a $200 TRP fee was all the was needed. Then we needed a highly paid legal representative to go to bat for us in front of the parole board??!!!

Yea, yea... Go ahead and tell me about how she should have never broke the law in the first place. Blah, blah, blah... Anyone of us who has ever had a beer or two and driven home could have been in the same boat. Something about glass houses comes to mind...

Anyway... I'm going to continue my quest in hopes my little lady can make her first trip north of the border. If I can't... Looks like a TWO week camping/fishing trip is in order right here in good ol' Minnesota!!

the nexus card is far and away the easiest and most cost effective way to find out if your admissable in canada. When you apply for the card, both countries screen you. If one country rejects you for a past offense, you can't get the card. If you do get the card, even with past convictions, you are good to go!

the nexus card is far and away the easiest and most cost effective way to find out if your admissable in canada. When you apply for the card, both countries screen you. If one country rejects you for a past offense, you can't get the card. If you do get the card, even with past convictions, you are good to go!

But if you already have a passport you wouldn't need to request a nexus card anyway would you?

Canada needs to figure these questions out or they will continue to miss out on many fisherman/hunters going other places on their trips.

But if you already have a passport you wouldn't need to request a nexus card anyway would you?

you need to have a passport to get a nexus card. a nexus card just greases the wheels when going back and forth from canada, as the pre-screening interview and all that is to determine that you are cool to come and go without much of a hassle.

personally, the nexus card thing sounds like a big PITA. Especially for those of us those of us that don't travel back and forth from canada more than maybe once a year. The best way to find out if you are admissible is to just go and try it or make some phone calls.

In order to get a nexus card you have go to the border in person for screening and you have to schedule interview appts and whatever else.

Actually until something firm is in black and white, there is NOTHING currently that is 100%.

Like I posted earlier, multiple phone calls were made and confirmed for our party this past fall, only to find out that the answer given in all cases was wrong.

Until I read differently on an official govt site I will assume it is still up to the discretion of the border agent, whether the offense is 1yr or 20yrs old.

personally, the nexus card thing sounds like a big PITA. Especially for those of us those of us that don't travel back and forth from canada more than maybe once a year. The best way to find out if you are admissible is to just go and try it or make some phone calls.

In order to get a nexus card you have go to the border in person for screening and you have to schedule interview appts and whatever else.

It would be great if someone has tried to cross the border recently with a DUI on their record posted their experience here. I know quite a few people that are excited about this change and are planning to make the trip up this summer.

The new rule is for one time, after the one time, the old rules apply to you. That being said it is still reads at the officers discretion. The Nexus card is the safest way to know that you will be allowed entry as mentioned above.