• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 stroke vs 2 stroke

Slyster

Question

OK.. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I don't see any forum for motors!

First of all... I ONLY care about reliability and maintenance and LONG term longevity.. I don't care about noise at all.

What is better. for 15HP.

A Johnson 2 stroke motor or a Johnson 4 stroke motor (made by Suzuki I hear).

The cost doesn’t matter either.. since the 4 stroke isn’t THAT much more.

Tx!

[This message has been edited by Slyster (edited 05-29-2004).]

9 answers to this question

if it was me i would go with the 4 stroke. from what i have been reading on here and in mag. the dependablity is good for both. with the 4 stroke you would never have to worry about new regs. some where down the line. and the not having the smoke would be nice at times also. del

This is a real easy one: Go with the four-stroke every time. Way more economical, much cleaner running and way more dependable. The only downside with a four-stroke is weight and cost. I have an eight horse Honda and a 25 hp Honda and they are unbeatable. The Johnson you want, if indeed it is made by Suzuki, should be a great motor. I have two little Suzuki's and they are wonderful,dependable little motors.

------------------

Maintenance, reliability and longevity are a wash between the two.
Money not being important and the increased fuel efficiency would swing me to the 4 stroke and who knows your favorite water may have a motor restriction somewhere down the road.
I would ask is the 15 hp going to be big enough for your boat.

I was told by a dealer that the 2004 Johnson 2 stroke motors won't ever have restrictions since they are so much cleaner than older 2 strokes... do you think this is true?

That would be aweful for so many of us if they banned 2 stroke motors on lakes! That would be unreal.

If weight is a consideration, go with the two stroke, otherwise, the 4 stroker will give you better gas mileage, run quieter, and no oil smell, or casting a dingy haze on those pristine (coff, coff) lakes. The industry is in turmoil with the EPA regs, but I would be surprised if they ban anything made today, they will produce the two strokes because they are lots cheaper to make, and if other industry standards are typical, can produce limited numbers of "smog" machines versus "clean" machines as long as the corporate emissions average to meet the EPA demands. That being said, there is always the "national park" possibility in the future to limit access to only clean running machines. (Yellowstone and the snowmobile quandry) Lobbyists, manufacturers, and special interest groups (sportsmen) keep the lands open to enjoy respectfully.
The consumer is now asking for better machines, and the manufacturers have had a long time to develop newer technologies, try to determine what you need for this investment, any machine will last a long time if given the proper maintenance, but look ahead perhaps ten years, will you still be using it? Will the "parks" limit even today's four strokers? What's resale gonna get you down the road?

Quote: I was told by a Mercury dealer this week that a 2 stroke will idle down slower. I assumed the opposite.

Your dealer is correct. It isn't even close. That's one of the main knocks on the 4 strokes.

The only other is that some models have trouble with the jet plugging up with varnish from fuel that sits in the tank too long(more than 2 weeks).

Up front price really being the other consideration.

That said my next outboard will likely be a 4 stroke. Although the EFI engines might get the nod.

Borch

thanks for the input! i went with the cheaper option... and I think the best option.. for many reasons... the 2 stroke.... should last decades... should be cool.. a 2004 should be a pretty clean engine and no way will they outlaw current models... tx for the info.