• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer lights, I NEED HELP!

andy j

Question

my trailer light went out on my boat so I did a few tests and I have yet to solve the problem so I need some help from you experts. I did a test on my trailer light plug on my truck and I was not getting juice, I got out the owners manual and checked the fuses in the truck they were ok, I then checked the fuses in the power distribution box under the hood, I found one that was burtout so I replaced it figuring it would solve the problem, it did not. The fuse was a 40A maxi fuse and the discription of the fuse location in the manual said "Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay, Engine Fuse Module (fuse 2) I then looked under the bumper and followed the wiring all the way to the hood area and could not see anything that looked like it had come unpluged. My rear taillights and my licience plate light work but I dont have juice going to the plug, I have a plug that is circular and it has 2 center prongs in the middle surrounded by 6 prongs. The Cap of the plug says Hoppy 6-24 and my truck is a 98 ford f-150. Any help would be appreciated. thanks AJ

8 answers to this question

andy j,
I had to replace the plug-in on my 95 truck not sure if that is your problem or not. If you want I'll make the offer of stopping by and plug your boat into my truck. You will know if it's your boat or your truck. Post your e-mail or or number and I'll touch bases with you.
Take care, Thomas (BD110)

ground wire on the truck plug? or ground on the trailer, I would think that if I was to get juice to the plug then I would see it with my tester?

You definitely have no power to the plug on back of truck.

I have a '99 F350 Superduty, and inside power box under hood, there are several trailer fuses, 1 7.5a for each turn/stop lights (so there are 2 fuses for both lights), and one for running lights.
I just replaced one of the 7.5a, and are fuse # 1 and # 3, you might want to check your manual again, and see if you missed something.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

I have a 97 F150 that has gone through many 20 amp mini fuses due to a patch of bare wire on my trailer shorting and therefore blowing out the fuse. One wire will go bad, then another length of wire will go bad due to some wire harness designs on my trailer.

The fuse that kept blowing is in the plastic box under the hood. It is one of the little yellow ones. Check that first.

If it is blown you probably have something on your trailer that is shorting out and blowing that fuse.

thanks for the posts, I checked the fuses again and noticed that the fuse I replaced before burntout again, I must be something on the trailer like you say, I will check it out tomarrow and let you know how I do. AJ