• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tracker boats?

Ufatz

Question

Thanks guys. The boat I am thinking of is the Tracker welded aluminum bass boat (don't recall the mod.# but it is 16'
) and I will up the motor option some, but I don't need to go 65 mph to chase a **** fish! HA! thanks for your comments. I suspect the boat will be noiseier and a little rougher than a nice glass boat, but price is a factor here.

[Moving to Equipment Forum]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-28-2004).]

Here's another thing to consider when making your decision. We had a customer come into the shop with an '03 Tracker with some paint defects. Tracker was extremely cooperative and they told us to do whatever we needed to do to make it right and to just send them the bill. They also had the check sent to us within the week. It's always nice to know that the manufacturer of the boat you just bought will stand behind it and give you good customer service if you need them.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

Ya Im waiting for someone to give me a Tundra to run for them! Anyone from Tracker need a Pro Staff? grin.gif
Those Tundras are awesome! They ride as nice as a Ranger and are a nice soft and dry ride.

If you want to save a little money on your tracker, you may want to check Dolan's off 94 just east of 694/494.

They are a scratch n' dent tracker dealer. Most of the time the scratch or paint defect is barely noticable and you can save a couple grand!

They aren't allowed to advertize that they are S n D, but they are.

You'll probably have a defect or two within a couple of trips out anyway, you may as well save the jing.

Hiya,
You're right Northlander - Tundras are great. I have an 18 DC and I love the thing... Great ride, amazingly easy to get on plane, tons of storage and a really nice layout for fishing out of. Just a tremendous hull. Figure what you get into them money-wise compared to a glass boat in the same class, and it's a no-brainer.

Trackers in general have a lot to offer. The interiors are pretty well thought out and no-nonsense. Great hulls, especially some of their deep Vs like the Targas, and you get an awful lot of boat for the money compared to some other aluminum brands. Factory rigging is very solid (6 ga. trolling motor harnesses, etc.) and on a lot of models, things like swing-away tongues and trailer brakes are standard, where they'd be upgrades on other brands.

If you're looking for Trackers, stop in at Bethel Marine and ask for Ross. Super guy, and knows his boats...

Cheers,
RK

Hiya,
James, call Bethel Marine and talk to Ross. Just tell him what you're looking for, and that Rob Kimm suggested you give him a call. I do know some guys that have bought Trackers hull-only, so it's possible. If they can swing it, Ross will help you out - he's a good guy...

Cheers,
RK

Speaking of Tracker boats does anyone know of a dealer that sells them without a motor? I've already got a 2002 30hp merc 4-stroke that I'd like to use with a 14' Super Guide. I noticed on the tracker site they state that they only sell with motor frown.gif

Thanks!

James

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info. I assume you mean Bethel Marine located just north of the cities right? I will give them a call on my lunch hour. Thanks again.

James

[This message has been edited by jk143 (edited 06-08-2004).]

Just my luck...Ross is on vacation this week frown.gif. I get the feeling that he is THE guy to talk to about this so I think, I'll just wait until Monday.

JK,

I bought my Tracker from Bethel Marine back in '99 (I do think Ross was my salesman). I WAS VERY UNHAPPY WITH THEIR SERVICE! They sold me a 16 foot Tracker Deep V. I was concerned about 25 H.P. motor the "package" came with and I made a point of asking the salesman if this was enough power to get the boat to plane. He looked in his book (even though he was a longtime salesman) and assured me it would plane just fine and do about 15-20 MPH. WRONG!!! I got it out the first 3 times and it never planed. It was like fast trolling. The front end would come up, but it wouldn't plane unless there was just one person and no gear. I called and complained and was given a less than stellar reaction. It was basically "buyer beware". They didn't seem to care. I had stretched myself as far as I could to buy this boat and didn't have anymore money to put into it. I was told for another $1,000 they would upgrade me to a 40 HP. I really had no choice. I borrowed more money and went back and had to wait several days for the new motor to be put on. They even had the gall to suggest I pay $100 extra because the now "used" 25 HP motor I should never have been sold in the first place had some chipped paint on the prop. After a rather lengthly and heated discussion on the showroom floor, they backed off charging me $100 extra for the prop. I would'nt have purchased the boat if told the the truth the day I looked at it (that it was well under powered and I would have to come up with $1,000 extra to upgrade). There is a Tracker dealer in Rogers. I'd try them if you are hooked on getting a Tracker. Also, they wouldn't budge $1 on the price. No dealing at all. He told me this was a Tracker thing as they are all sold as "packages". Since they lie to me once, I don't know if this is true or not. Also, they broke the plastic "battery" holder in the front of the boat when servicing it and didn't say anything. It then took them a week or two to order a new one and I had to drive back again to have it installed (I lived in Brooklyn Center back then). No apologies. I WILL NEVER GIVE BETHEL MARINE MY BUSINESS AGAIN!!

P.S. This is my 6th season with the boat and it has been pretty good. A few minor things wrong, but nothing major. The seats were VERY cheap and fairly uncomfortable that came with the boat. I've replaced 2 of them. Also, the livewell design on mine stinks. There is a good 18 inches that goes back under the decking. Guess where the fish always end up when it's time to empty the livewell. Crappie, sunnies, and perch can be hard to get out of the livewell.

Went to the Tracker dealer (Marine Max in Rogers) on Saturday. Had a good feeling about the Pro Guide V-16.
Very open floor plan. I like the room for a single console boat with a 82" beam (width). I also like the 27 gallon fuel cell. That much gas would last me 2 years!

It's packaged from Tracker with a Mercury ELPTO 40, MinnKota 12v/40lb/54" trolling motor and Interstate battery, Lowrance X-37 Fish Finder (with temp and battery monitor), Interstate cranking battery, Trailstar Drive-on trailer for $9995.

Well, Marine Max/Rogers has decided to put on the Mercury 50 ELPTO (at no extra charge), because they feel the 40 horse is a bit underpowered. That's thinking.

I'm convinced (pricewise) it's everthing I'm looking for...just curious to hear opinions from owners of this boat...

------------------
"Shhh...I'm fishing"

Way back at the beginning of this post I asked the first question about Tracker boats. I looked at several models and pretty thoroughly checked them out. Last week I bought the Crestliner 1750 FishHawkSC w/115 Yamaha etc.etc. The Trackers looked fine, but I knew they were sold underpowered. The seating was not quite what I needed, bad back, steel knees,and other problems. But the Tracker seemed to be a reasonable deal for what it was. Just be advised that they come without enough power, and by the time you upgrade the power and other features, you are right up where I ended up with my Crestliner. I take nothring away from Trackers-the ones I looked at and checked out looked like decent deals.
But they are defenitely NOT a Crestliner. Ain't it great to live in a country where you have a choice? Cheers boys!!

10-4, heard that "freedom of choice" thang!

For me, it's going to be a matter of money.
I can't fathom spending as much money as a Crestliner/Lund/Alumacraft purchase would command.
Especially when a person could always upgrade at any time (budget permitting), all the while, being in a new boat that one could afford.

I have fished out of Lunds, Crestliners, Fishers, and Sylvans and the one thing I've noticed is that none of the afformentioned will appease all of one's needs. They all cost a fortune too and I still was not thoroughly impressed by "the quality of ride for the money" factor.

I looked at the Tracker Pro Guide V-16 (in particular, since that's the one I'll buy) and noticed it being packaged on the Tracker HSOforum with an undersized Mercury 40 ELPTO for $9995.

I liked the fact that Marine Max is selling it with the 50 horse (for the same price of $9995), as they see it being underpowered as well. Still to some, it could use more power, however, for me it is ample for my needs...

Like it was said, it's a matter of choice.

If you financed, that Crestliner probably cost you around $15,000 before the interest (you pay after finance charges). You may pay $18,000 when it's said and done...

I'm in need of a boat I can handle by myself in all kinds of water...a single console (I hate walk-thru windshields that take up floor space), wide, Deep-V hull that will allow me to fish the smaller lakes around me here in Monticello/Buffalo area and still take on Mille Lacs, LOTW, Leech, Winni, etc., and still be able able to launch or load the boat quickly by myself...(p.s; I don't fish in terribly stormy weather)...plus I'm paying cash for it, so it's all I can afford.

------------------
"Shhh...I'm fishing"

[This message has been edited by BackHerUp (edited 07-05-2004).]

i have a fisher pro avenger sc same boat as the pro guide 16 i have a 50 horse 4 stroke on it and it takes about 300 to 400 yards to plain tops out at 28 mph when all the moons are in alignment. you need at least a 70 horse on back other wise with three people you will not plane. other things i dont like: you can see the welds. gas tank is to far back in the boat and is just too big. the fish knock the drain tube out all the time. passenger side rod storage lid has no support so if you step on it it bends. the passenger handles keep loosing up. the motor hits the seat on the aft deck when tilter up. you want a ride in one i live in st francis e-mail me at chadmn2001 at aol dot com

Figured I would chime in on this even though I don't fish in MN (nowhere near it for that matter). I own a 2002 Tracker Pro Team 165 and honestly, the boat is well suited to fish out of.

My decision to purchase the tracker was partly a funds issue and partly a practicality issue. I already owned a 2001 SeaRay Runabout and wanted something for fishing, spending 20-25k for a flats rig just seemed ludicrous.

I don't really use it for its intended purpose, freshwater fishing (fresh water is for drinking, saltwater is for fishing grin.gif ) and the boat has always been ran in the Central Florida intercostal waterways.

The only regret is that I didn't drop the extra cash for a larger engine. I weigh in at about 240lbs and the boat with the 25hp motor clocks right at 24mph on my GPS-o-meter. I have had a friend who weighs about the same and my daughter (75ish lbs) and gear in the boat and still was able to pull 19mph in a rough chop (slow to plane, but it did).

I made some modifications to the boat over the last couple years so it better suited my needs, adding a CMC PT-35 tilt/trim kit, custom aluminum poling platform, and Nauticus smarttabs Pictured below.

P5200033.JPG

P5200032.JPG

The only real problem I have with the boat is the carpet. The extended saltwater use has taken its toll and I will soon need to replace it. I believe a suitable alternative is that roll in "rhino-liner" type stuff you put in the bed of a truck. (Carpet photo below):

P5200034.JPG

I give this boat a 8 out of possible 10 rating and would recommend it for anyone. Hope this helps.