• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need help with canvas boat cover

Double

Question

The canvas cover to my boat seems to have lost most of its water repellent qualities. Is there anything I can do to prevent water from seeping through the cover and getting into the boat?

Thanks,
Double

5 answers to this question

This may be an urban myth and mabey someone else could comment on this but I have been told that the best way to waterproof a tent is to set it up on a warm sunny day, then wet it and let it dry, wet it and let it dry, wet it and let it dry. 3 times. Suppsoedly tightens up the material?! Anyone know if this is true or not? If so, maybe it would work for your boat cover as well.

Nick

I agree get a good water repelent and spray the tarp. From what I have heard from people who make covers most canvas covers should be water sealed every 2 - 3 years. that will keep them going as long as possible..

Camp Dry works - spray it on until the fabric is soaked, and let it dry for a couple of days.

Another decent product is Canvak, available through Cabela's - found in the Tent Section. The nice thing with Canvak is you can apply it with a big brush OR put it in a sprayer (like an old cleaned out Windex bottle)

I've used both products with good results, but for larger jobs the Canvak is more economical.