• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas/Oil leaking out of prop

Northlander

Question

I have a 1998 25 horse Yamaha oil injected and after a long 10 days of use I put her in the garage and in the am I saw a gas/oil mix on the floor and it looked to be dripping out of the prop.
What are you guys ideas on this problem? Clogged Fuel Filter, clogged float? Any suggestions are welcome. I need to get it in the water asap to prefish a bit.

6 answers to this question

If you have your motor tipped up during travel gas will run out the overflow on the carb. I know your using a 5 gallon gas tank. If you don't have your gas line attached then once the bowl is dry it'll quit dripping out. If you have your hose attached it'll build pressure with the least bit of a temperature rise and continue to push gas into the carb. Since the motor is tipped up the float won't work right and gas will continue to overfill the bowl and out the overflow or through the jets.

Ya I drove home 10 miles and the motor was down. The fuel line was connected. I replaced the fuel filter today and it ran great and no leaking! Hopefully it was just a pressure thing like you guys said.
If it continues to do this again what else may it be?

I was told my '92 40 hp Evinrude wouldn't intially start and run properly last weekend due to a similar problem.

I also travel with the motor up and didn't squeeze the bulb on the fuel line after I launched the boat and dropped the motor down. It started, then died, and then was very hard to start. Once it did finally start, it had no power and ran very poorly until I limped it over to my buddy's cabin. We took the plugs out to see if they were wet (they weren't) and then just put them back in again and started it up. It ran perfectly after that. Weird huh?

Is it best to disconnect the gas line if traveling with the motor up??

Does everyone squeeze the ball on the fuel line before starting??

I don't like an external gas tank building up all that pressure when the hose is connected.
Yes you should squeeze up the bulb before starting. Thats how you fill up the gas in the carbs bowl. Otherwise it would take a lot of engine cranking for the fuel to reach the carb or injectors.