• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

25 Johnson won't go in gear

Captnemo

Question

I have a 25 Johnson that will shift into reverse and turn the prop, but when put in forward the prop won't turn. Worked fine for the weekend and only when going to put it on the trailer it wouldn't work. It was sudden and did not get shifted into gear with the motor reved up?? Any ideas and how dificult to repair yourself??

3 answers to this question

Sounds like the dogs on the inside of the shifting gear could be worn. What happens is that you'll get forward or reverse but it will pop out of one. You might need new gears and shifting yoke. It cost me about $300 at a shop on an 86 35 hp Evinrude (I think labor was only $60). I probably could have figured it out but would have taken time to recognize how bad the wear points were.

Could be a few things, worse case is what IFallsRon mentioned.
What year is your motor? Any chance you sheared the pin? I know you said it goes in reverse and not forward but no shear is clean and you could have enough material there to grab in reverse and not forward.
If your motor doesn't have shear pins then you have a pressed rubber hub on the prop. Same scenario as I described above.
Next thing to try is look at the shift coupler. Its under a access plate midway done the lower unit. Should see the shift rods with a brass coupler and 2 set bolts.

Thanks for the replies!! I was going to swap motors with another I have last night. Played around with the prop and putting it in gear first. Noticed it was not consistent and thought I would check the pin. After taking off the prop the pin fell to the floor in three pieces. Looked as if it was half way wore by the rust on the pin. Must have just been time.