• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best battery?

bobberup

Question

12 answers to this question

Exide Nautilus NC27.

I have 3 in my ProV and they last a good 2-3 years with proper care.

Cost is appx. $75.00 each

Bumper-to-Bumper carries all Exides for Marine use.

------------------
Chells

I have a Trojan 31 series that cost me $105.00 at Batteries Plus in Spring Lake Park. Gulped a little when I bought it but it has been worth every penny. I can use it all day and when I put it on the charger, it seems like it doesn't take much and it'
s fully charged again. Even used it to run my FL-18 ice fishing.

------------------
YOU CAN'T talk AN OLD talk'ER!

Hiya,
Trojans are extremely good batteries. I've used the SCS225s for a while, and they are the best I've come across. If you look around a little you can find them on sale for under $100. I replace mine every 2 years whether they need it or not - and they usually don't. Sold my last set to a friend, and he's gotten another 2 years out of them, and they're still in good shape.

The main thing with any battery, regardless of brand, is being religous about charging them immediately after use. Do that, and any battery perform as well as it's capable of. Beyond that, more lead (more plates) is good, and Trojans weigh a ton because they have lots of plates. I highly recommend them.

Cheers
RK

I'm not sure many of the different "brands" of batteries out there aren't manufactured in the same plants, just with different labels. Unlike electronics and appliances, I don't know there is much difference between the materials used inside (except of course, between flooded cell vs. gel vs. AGM vs. Nickel Zinc.) Your basic battery is a flooded cell type. The heavier, the better. More, or thicker, plates inside.

I had a MinnKota branded battery, what ever Gander Mtn. sold, and Mills Fleet Farm "Resolute" brand. Liked 'em all. Since Mills was about 5 bucks cheaper, have stuck with them. And at Mills, I grab the battery from the back of the rack, so it is freshest.

Point is, batteries are like milk. Age matters, but if you don't refrigerate (recharge promptly) it won't last long. Of course, some cows are prettier than others.

What's the reserve time on the Trojans you guys are using?

The NC27's I mentioned above are 180 minutes and I've never run them down, even on trips where I can't re-charge them. I've gotten 3-days of use no problem.

Thanks!

------------------
Chells

bobberup - 2 yrs ago, I replaced my trolling battery w/ a Minnkota trolling motor battery. Igot the biggest size @ Gander Mountain and this puppy runs for about 2 days straight. If Iam fishing windy condinstions, I will get a full day, maybe day and half. More importnantly though, I charge my batteries the minute I get home as this is my normal routine.
For my deep cycle, I am still running on a Northern Battery that came with my rig three yrs ago. Great battery and cheap too!