• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New deep cycle battery question?

Finlander

Question

Is it best to drain down the batteries the first time you use them as I was told that to set up the electrlytes in the battery properly that you have to drain the battery down to 0-volts, true or untrue?
I keep getting different opinions!

2 answers to this question

New deep cycle batteries do not take a "SET" like in the "old days".

Best way to keep deep cycle batteries strong is to COMPLETELY charge them IMMEDIATELY after EVERY USE, check and maintain water level, and only use DISTILLED water to fill them.

Found this on the Trojan HSOforum FAQ:

–When do I need to perform an equalization charge?
Equalizing should be performed when a battery is first purchased (called a freshening charge) and on a regular basis as needed. How often this might occur with your battery will vary depending on your application. You will need to monitor your battery voltage and specific gravity to determine when equalization is needed. For example, it is time to equalize if the measured specific gravity values are below manufacturer's recommended values after charging (recommended value for Trojan Deep Cycle batteries is 1.277 +/- .007 at 80o F). Equalizing is also required if the specific gravity value of any individual cell varies 30 points or more. Reduced performance can also be an indicator that equalizing is necessary. Equalization should also be performed when individual battery voltages in a battery pack range greater than 0.15 volts for 6 volt batteries or 0.30 volts for 12 volt batteries. A good rule of thumb is to perform equalize charging once every 10 cycles.

–Should I completely drain my batteries before recharging them?
Trojan's deep cycle lead acid batteries can be cycled to any percentage of their rated capacity and then be recharged. However, Trojan does recommend that you never cycle below 80% of the battery's rated capacity.

–Does my deep cycle battery develop a memory?
Lead acid batteries do not develop any type of memory.