• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CRESTLINER OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!

Question

I had a mishap this weekend. My windshield on my 1700 superhawk exploded! The boat was sitting on the boat lift and all I heard was like a gunshot sound and I go down and look and my passenger side of the windshield is gone! Glass flew 50 plus feet in all directions. Good thing nobody was around the boat! Well I called the dealer and this is a common problem with the curved glass windshields. He said it has happened to people as they are motoring across the lake! So just a note to not put children in the front seats! I am witing to see what the factory says!

5 answers to this question

Several years ago I heard of the windshield on Crestliners coming off in rough water conditions. The exploding windshield is a new one to me. What year is your boat?

I have only heard of this happening in waves and while moving, not sitting on the lift. WOW. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

I concur with the dealer it does happen to many and all brands. The Alumacrafts were notorious for coming out while battling large waves and I personally witnessed a Ranger coming loose.

I believe one company makes the glass and each manufacturer has their own process for installation. My dealer reinforced my Alumacraft windshield with bars. I battled 4 footers on opener and the windshield is in tact. smile.gif

Yes Crestliner also has problems with the windshield slowing working their way out of the metal framework, but were talking an actual explosion on mine.

Mine is a 2002 1700 Superhawk.

Funny thing is that evrytime you need something from Crestliner it takes forever to get! But boy I told the dealer what happened and guess what the next morning (bam) new windshields on a truck in route!
From what I gather its a problem they want overlooked! I am going to press the issue with crestliner, but not until my boat is completed! Then I will take this issue up with them and the proper people.