• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer tongue weight question...

Moose-Hunter

Question

Howdy All....

How much tongue weight do you need? Is there a set formula to calculate the proper tongue weight?

I have a Lund 1600 Angler SS with a Yamaha 75 loaded to the gills with toys. It tows just fine, but when it comes to putting my boat in the garage, it's a bear to wrestle around by hand. My driveway settled about an inch, and lifting the nose wheel up to the garage slab is a real pain.

Can this be adjusted? And if so, can I do it myself?

Thanks......

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

2 answers to this question

not sure what the formula is, but you can check what the tongue weight is with a bathroom scale. just cut a 2X4 the height that tongue sits on hitch and put that on the scale then put the trailer tongue on that. it will tell you what the weight is.

The manual for my shorelander says the tongue weight should be about 7% of the total weight of boat and motor. I think others on this site have said between 5 and 10%.

Go drop the boat in the lake and then take a look at the trailer. Mine has u bolts clamping the axle to the frame. If you move the axle towards the rear you increase tongue weight, and if you move the axle towards the tongue, you'll reduce it.

so bring some tools to the local landing, drop the boat in the water and make your adjustments. Load her back up and see how she feels. I think even my manual says to use a bathroom scale.