• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor blown on boat I just bought. Suggestions?

IFallsRon

Question

I bought a used 1977 20 foot pontoon boat this spring. It came with a 55 hp Johnson Seahorse motor. I took it out a couple of times and had a hard time with keeping the motor running and then all of a sudden it made a load sound and wouldn't run.

The mechanic examined it and said that the connecting rod and crankshaft were broke and one the bearings were gone. Estimate was 1300 to repair given that info (with out disassembling to see if there was more).

I'm not sure it would be good to pour more money into a 30 year old motor.

Any input would be appreciated. The flooring is not rotted but is cracking and giving way in some spots and would need to be patched i think. I'm not sure whether i should just sell the boat and start over. (this is my first boat). I already bought the Lowrance LMS 330c with mapping software for ~700 and i don't want to go without a boat now that i have spent on that.

Replace motor with used versus new? Sell the boat and buy something else?

Thanks for the comments in advance.

8 answers to this question

I'll second that. They are out there just keep your eyes open.

I was in a very similar situation but luckily I was able to remedy it before opener.

I found a 1984 25 hp Merc for $500. It is in very good condition and looks like it has been used very little. It was cheap because it is 20 years old. It runs like a champ and I am sure it will for many years to come smile.gif.

Good luck.

------------------
The Doctor is in.............Everybody stand back!!!

I.B.O.T. # 144
Boundry Waters Chapter

Carl,
Sorry about the bad luck there, but it would'nt take me to long to decide not to put 1300.00 back into a 30 year old motor.
As far as selling the whole thing, there must be a reason you were really attracted to it in the first place, so I think i'd look for a different motor.
I have seen some super deals in the boats and used gear for sale forum here at FM.
This is where i'd be looking. Just my thoughts, good luck.

I bought a used 1977 20 foot pontoon boat this spring. It came with a 55 hp Johnson Seahorse motor. I took it out a couple of times and had a hard time with keeping the motor running and then all of a sudden it made a load sound and wouldn't run.

The mechanic examined it and said that the connecting rod and crankshaft were broke and one the bearings were gone. Estimate was 1300 to repair given that info (with out disassembling to see if there was more).

I'm not sure it would be good to pour more money into a 30 year old motor.

Any input would be appreciated. The flooring is not rotted but is cracking and giving way in some spots and would need to be patched i think. I'm not sure whether i should just sell the boat and start over. (this is my first boat). I already bought the Lowrance LMS 330c with mapping software for ~700 and i don't want to go without a boat now that i have spent on that.

Replace motor with used versus new? Sell the boat and buy something else?

Thanks for the comments in advance.

thanks for the replies all.

i think i'll lean towards getting a used motor.

I may have to take you up on the offer of repair the floor, Steve. Any idea or estimate for what it might cost? a 20 foot pontoon with a console 1/2 bench and full bench along the back. if you want you can email me at cchristensen15*nospam*@charter*nospam*.net

remove the *nospam*. i insert that so email harvesting programs that scan the net don't get my address.

I also have a 20' pontoon, I have a 30hp Johnny pushing it , It does just fine. Granted, You'll never ski behind it, but that's a whole nother story.

------------------
NOBODY ever died, wishing they had fished....LESS!!