• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me identify this boat!

Granny

Question

I bought this boat a few year ago and the title card is wrong. I don't know what year or make the boat is and I don't know what year the motor is either but it is a 35hp Evinrude Big Twin. I have done some research and cant find a boat that looks like this one. A moderator will post pictures soon.

Thanks in advance,

Granny

21 answers to this question

That looks alot like an early 'Owens', I know where there is a very similar looking craft in a friends pasture and it has 'Owens' on nameplates, same caddy wings, bulkhead and motor well. That's my guess!

fisky

Thanks Dan for posting the pictures! The title card says 1957 Chrysler but someone told me they didn't start making fiberglass boats until 1966. I looked all over the boat and I can't find any info on it. It sure did turn a lot of heads when I had it on the water!

Granny

Tom,
I will send an email to your Gull Guide address.

Big G,
Do you have a number for this guy?

Granny

[This message has been edited by Granny (edited 05-12-2004).]

Only one name for a boat like that, SWEET!! I love those ole rigs. If I had the time i'd have one with fins too. I know of a decent old thompson wood speedboat that needs some lovin... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Granny, sorry I didn't get your mail til today. Good that Dan posted em up for you. Yes, that is an incredible boat! I checked my sources and heard everything from Shell Lake to Cadillac to Chrysler. You find a serial number on the bottom of the bow plate?

FINTASTIC TROLLOMATIC !!!

Got to have the matching sweater to cruise around in it! grin.gif

chunk

I called the guy I bought the boat from and the only info he has was what the title card says. He fixed it up and painted it but there were no numbers for id on the boat. So pretty much I am at a dead end with the previous owners. I tried to register on a fiberglass classic boat page but no luck. Well I will keep searching the web and see if I can find one like it.

Anyone have a clue on what year the motor might be? There are numbers on that but I didn't write them down.

Tom,
Did you recieve my email?

Thanks guys,

Granny

Sure looks to me like a Mariner made in Red Wing in the 50's or early 60's. I had an 18 footer that still had the company brochure from 1962 with it. This sure looks like one of them. Sold it 7 years ago so don't have the literature anymore.

cool looking boat granny. i didnt expect that at all when you told me what kind of boat you bought. it almost reminds of the first boat my dad bought except it had a pretty crappy brown color and we didnt have fins. that thing must fly. we had a '59 johnson motor on ours. did you use it on your fishing trip the other weekend?
fisher13

WOW! Never thought I would see anotehr one of these! A fishing buddy gave me one of these along with a 50 hp Johnson and trailer about 20 years ago when we lived in Oklahoma. We both used to fish from it - he would step over the windshield and sit on the cowling in the front (very carefully). When his dad died he inherited a bunch and bought himself a brand new boat and just gave me the old one. Only difference is mine was light blue instead of royal blue. When we moved from OK I gave it to someone else.

Daze Off

I found out the boat is a 1959 Sea Fury and the motor is a 1958 or 1959. I was finally able to contact someone from a classic fiberglass web page. Thanks to all who gave their input.

Granny

Can anybody help me find some information on this boat?

It's a 1965 Owens. Can't find anything on it anywhere. It's the one I'm trying to fix up.

gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id

Do a search for fiberglassics. I was unable to register on the site but I just sent an email to the site owner and he was able to help me.

Email me at lsw2002 at AOL.com and I will send you the guys email address.

Later,

Granny