• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you think about Bass Boats

Bushwacker

Question

I have an opportunity to buy a '93 Nitro 17 footer, Rick Clunn edition. It has a 1993 115 Johnson on it. I now have a 1992 Alumacraft Competitor 17 ft/ with a 1992 60hp Johnson. My Competitor works great for larger lakes like Mille Lacs and it is set up pretty nice for a multi-species boat. If I buy the Nitro and sell my boat it would cost me literally nothing. My question is, what is your opinion of bass boats. To me it seems like they would be great for bass, muskie, northern, and panfish. I do about 50% of my fishing for walleye, though. Usually myself and one other in the boat. Will a bass boat handle a lake like Mille Lacs? I am just looking for any opinions that I can get. I have fished out of probably 30+ boats in my life, but not one single bass boat. What do you guys think I should do?

6 answers to this question

Keep your Alumacraft... pretty tought to handle Mil Lacs 3ft rollers in a bassboat.

Just a thought from a bias die hard walleye fisherman.

SUNNYD

I wouldn't do it! Saw a big bass boat on Mille Lacs get a big wave get washed in the rear of the boat and it went down!
Well not totally down, but with only the front end was sticking up.
Bass boats can handle big waves when moving forward and getting to those bass holding quiet bays out of the wind.
But for drift fishing for walleyes forget it!
There too low in the water to handle the giant swells Mille Lacs can put out!
Bass boats are made for bass fishing, walleye boats are made for walleyes in my opinion. Don't put yourself in danger!

i would stay with your old boat also. i had had a ranger bass boat(18') for six years and loved it for fishing out of, but they are not the best rough water boats unless you get into the bigger ones and then you have to be carefull. they can take water over the back real easily.( have had this happen several times while loading and unloading!) i just sold mine and went to a fisherman series, but i did this not due to the rough water, so much since i don't fish any big water.but should fit into my plans a little better than the bass boat. del

I picked up a bass boat from this site this winter. It is my first "bigger" boat. I have had it out a few times and it handles prety well. Nothing in high seas yet and I would not go out most of the time anyway if the waves are too big. I see the advantages of having a bigger boat but would also like to have it a bit deeper too. I fish multi species and rarely get to Mille Lacs. For me right now it was a good choice to keep my 14' aluminum and add this to the arsenal.
If you are out in the big chop, as stated, going forward is fine and kind of fun once you know how to handle the boat. Getting swamped from behind is nothing to joke about if you are out in the middle of the lake.

interesting choice for you. better assess how you fish and in what conditions. I will fish in the rain and bad weather but am not really wanting to put the wife through the high rollers in the bass boat.

I have quite a few friends who fish competively in the midwest. They all have bass boats (Skeeter, Nitro, Ranger Ect.) I can take my 16 foot lund anywhere they go. Maybe not as fast but what is the hurry. I think you should go with something that is versital?!?!?

Tad