• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tilt & Trim question

Ole1855

Question

Ok all you Merc owners out there I've got a question for you.

On Sat. when I was out fishing all of a sudden I hear this buzzing noise, after a couple of seconds I realize it's the tilt & trim on the motor running on it's own. The motor was all the way down and the T&T was still trying to tilt it down farther. I hit the tilt up button on the gear shift and it would quit but it would not tilt up, when I would let go of the button it would start on it's own again. My brother hit the up/down button on the motor a few times and then it quit, then I was able to run it normally from the up/down on the gear shift. My big concern is if the switch is shorted or something like that it could happen anytime and burn out the T&T motor. Any HELP would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ole

------------------
Olson Insurance Agency
[email protected]
952-224-4774

8 answers to this question

My yamaha 150 had a problem once where the tilt and trim went wild and just kept going up and down on it's own. Wouldn't stop until I opened the hood and unplugged the wires to the switch on the motor cowling. I still had the switch on the throttle to use which worked fine. I think what happened is that I had been backtrolling into some very rough water the day before and the switch got water in it and shorted out.

Since I never used that switch much I just left it unplugged and tried it again a year later. Same thing happened so I unplugged it again and left it.

ccarlson

I was having problems with the tnt on my 40 horse Merc earlier this year. The motor would only tilt up when it wanted to (which wasn't very often). At first the mechaninc thought it might be the tnt motor but he ended up putting in 2 new relay switches and that did the trick. Good thing it wasn't the tnt motor because that would have been about $400 to replace!

Matt

Ole,
I have a 75 Merc that would tilt up but not down. I bought new relay switches (one for up and one for down) and replaced them both. It was an easy fix and didn't cost much. It does sort of sound like there is a short in your up/down switch the way your trim motor kept running when you weren't pushing the trim switch.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

It sounds like the trim/tilt switch mounted on the motor... I'd try working it up and down, etc to try and replicate the problem.

It could also be the relays... but typically they're broke or they're not... not intermitent.

It could be that you got some water in it, and now that it's dried out it's not a problem anymore...

marine_man

Marine_man,

Maybe it was the 1/4 inch of FROST that was covering my boat on Sat. morning!!! It probably doesn't like to be operated in the cold.

Thanks Ole