• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Lights revisted

EBass

Question

I replaced the whole set and ran into some road blocks and wanted to share a time shaver so to speak for other dumb arses like myself.

Tip# 1. When pulling the old wires through the frame (after they've been disconnected) tape the new plug to the cut end of the old wires and pull it through the frame.

Tip#2is for the dumb arses like myself. If you already pulled the old wires out, don't try to feed the new wires through the frame. The wire will bunch up and will not go all the way through. Tying clothes hangers together is a waste of time and trying to use your fishing pole is more waste of time (yes I did these for an hour) So I took a measuring tape to see how long of stick or something that I need to shove down the trailer frame. Then it hit me. Use the tape measure! So I taped the wires on the tape measure and slide it through in 10 seconds. Too bad it took me an hour to figure that out.

I hope this info helps someone out.

5 answers to this question

Great idea! I did something similarly stupid to you last year. I pulled the old wires out before running the new wires through. My problem was that the bolt that the safety chains are connected with kept getting in the way. I finally took a thin dowel and shoved the wired past the bolt. It was fairly easy going from there. I wish I would have thought about the tape measure deal. It would have been much easier for me as well!

One other thing that helps protect the trailer wires from rubbing on the frame and wearing through. Take an old garden hose, cut it to the length of the trailer with some sticking out, now you can either slide this through the trailer frame or ty-wrap to the outside of the trailer frame, but before you attach the hose to the trailer slide the trailer wires through the hose.

Ole

------------------
Olson Insurance Agency
[email protected]
952-224-4774

I didn't have a drain snake nor would I even thought of that. D'OH!

A garden hose is a great idea to or even get the flex loom tubing, but I just wanted to get them dang wires in there.