• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting for portable

Dano2

Went to the truck stop next door and bought (1) 2" X 4" LED amber side marker for $12.00.(lights you see on the top of trailers)

Bought a (clear) replacement lense for it only to find out after pulling the original lense the bulbs were actually amber as well. mad.gif

Anyway it is a dual light system with (3) LED in each half.

I've had it hooked up in my living room for 3 1/2 hours now on a Marcum battery (12V 7.0 amp) and it has not dimmed a bit.

Even being amber in color I can see the entire living room

16 X 20 and in to two other adjacent rooms as well.

Should a guy get white or bright white, the light must be incredible.

Will be getting a "dome" light like mentioned in a earlier post which is white and (12) LED so I'm positive it will light up any portable very well seeing my amber test is doing well.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clear dome lights that I bought have 15 bulbs each,

I hooked one up before I left for work at 5p.m. on the 2nd(yesterday) when I got off work at 3a.m. I checked the light and it was just as brite as when I plugged it in. it's 3:30a.m. now and my charger ran for 22min. to bring the batt. back to full charge. on my last test I ran the light for 6 hrs and charged the batt. back to 100% in 10min.

I have never ran a batt. totaly dead, so I dont know how long it takes to charge one up if dead but I'll say this, you can buy all the rope lights you want, I've seen the 6 footer in action before and it dont have 1/2 the light as my dome light.

I'm going to install the two new lights in my new F/T Guide on sunday and try them out on the lake, when I get done I'll post Pic's with the run time and charge time on monday, untill then good luck to all and be safe.

captkev:

Your idea here seems to be the ticket. I'm on (17) hours lighted time right now and I see no difference from the first hour !!

My batteries are new but were in a closet for two years so I threw a couple hour charge on one and its been pushing that side marker light (17) plus hours.

I'm going to hook both mine (batteries) up parrallel and see what kind of time I can get out of two (7 amp) batteries.

Have a sweet insulated box with a hindged cover and handle they both fit in nice.

Heading to the Mack dealer and the truck stop on 35W and cty 70 there in Lakeville to find a dome light. Otherwise I'm off to S. St Paul to Stockmans.

Went to a couple local truck stops, they both had LEDs but nothing in the clear category, all red and yellow, checked out a couple other places as well. Guess I'll go ahead and order them LB1's.

captkev - Those lights look like the ticket! I've been searching all over for something like that on the internet and have yet to find anything like them. I like the fact that there is an adjustable bracket with the light. It would sure be nice to know who made that.

Well I had the same luck as you Dano2. Being all truck parts houses were closed I ended up going to a "Peterbuilt" dealer because I was out of patience.(lol)

I knew the dealer price would be $20 more then a parts house but what you gonna do ?

I bought a Maxima #M4250 Round 4" LED (semi) back up light with 54 5 mm leds in it. It came with a sealed groumet, pig tail connection and steel mounting frame for $69.00 (ouch) Saw RV dome lights online for $50 so it wasn't to far off that price I guess.

Looks nice and throws good light. Used 16 gauge wire and wrapped it in conduit from battery to the center pole on my Polar Sport. Zipped tied the frame to the pole and its been running 5 hours as of now on a 12V 7.0 amp battery from a Aqua View camera. Clear light and it fills the 3-man sport from wall to wall easily. If I can get (8) hours off this thing I'll be happy with (54) bulbs in it smile.gif Going to drain it dead and hook two batteries in parallel and see what I can get. Definately enough light, just need to know the time I'll have it.

In my otter resort, I've got 4 of the Superbright LED bar lights (LB2's I think), I put them in a clear plastic tube and sealed the ends for protection. They are now practically waterproof and indestructable.

I also have a rope light running throug the storage compartment that I built, and a 6 LED light mounted on the front of the compartment for charging glow lures.

The storage compartement holds a 25lb propane tank, 2 5 gallon pails, it has rod storage for 6 rods, and a flasher compartment...

Needless to say, when all the lights are on, it is brighter than the surface of the sun.

And when I put the reflectix panels up in the ceiling it's like I am at a Disco...

Oh, I turned all of the lights on yesterday afternoon when I was finishing up the wiring, and as of this mornining they are still burning bright...

LED's are definitely the way to go.

I stoped back by at Truckers Inn in Sauk Centre, it seems that I bought the only two out of the package that they had, the shelf was restocked and they were the same thing I had got in a package, the mgr. said someone probably took the two that I bought out of the package to look at them.

The brand name is UNION PACIFIC made in Taiwan...

Good luck with your search, I tryed and found nothing, If someone does find them please let us know how. I'm shure there is a way to find them, there is no address on the package.

Deephole7: You will never run out of power with a Vex battery and that lighting system. I did a test run and had three of the lights running, total of 90 bulbs for over two days and it didn't dim a bit... I use two fixtures, one over each hole, in my clam, almost to bright...lol It's the new cutting edge way to go instead of the lantern... I got mine on line at "Super Brights". Good luck on the Ice....Kaz

Kaz I think you might be right smile.gif Comming up on 22 hours running now and the light shows no signs of dimming yet.

Turned out to be a very wise and simple investment it looks like.

Nothing more rugged then a sealed back up light for a semi.

This LED technology is the deal. I thought a 4" round diameter light with (54) 5mm bulbs was going to suck juice like mad. I was totally wrong and I'm rather pleased.

Quote:

captkev - Those lights look like the ticket! I've been searching all over for something like that on the internet and have yet to find anything like them. I like the fact that there is an adjustable bracket with the light. It would sure be nice to know who made that.

Check out ebay. Do a search for LED Dome or Brake lights. I just picked up 3 of them last week there.

watch out for them brake lights though, I picked an LED brake lite up from fleet yeasterday, and it had red bulbs, so I am returning it, Unless you WANT red bulbs. I ordered one of them LB1s from super bright. I'll see how much it gives me in my frabill 2 man. I figured I would split it in 2 6" sections, I would mainly just like the area in front of me lit. If needed, I will just add one of them cheaper (not clams) rope lights for a little added light to see my gear behind me. fleet has the 12v7A plus charger for $17.00. My LX-3 needed a new one, and I grabbed a spare for the lights. Thought $17 was a good deal, guess they had them on sale awhile ago for $10 shocked.gif

You're right on the brake lights. The red LED show brighter through the red lens than the while ones. Although you'll see lots of whilte leds brake lights with a red lens. Be sure to ask questions before you buy.

Kaz, I just ordered 2 of the LB1 bars, did you use a resistor or is there one built into these bars? I am guessing there is not. 1/4 watt resistor sounds to be the thing to use?

Ears:My lamps were rated for 12vdc, so I didn't have to worry about any stepdown in voltage. The truck back-up lamps are already put together with 30 LED's in a round lamp. I also got a attachment ring the the lamp snaps into. Simply ran wire from the battery to the lamp, and presto, Got LIGHT!!! If the LB1 bar is ready for 12vdc, and I would think so, you shouldn't need to use any resistance in the line. What is the main pourpuse for the light bar that you bought???? Kaz

I haven't recieved them yet but based on the info provided they'll be significantly brighter than the light bars.

Time will tell. I'm hoping to get my Otter Lodge assembled and rigged yet this week. I'm thinking that that house may only require two of them. But I've got another house that could use an extra.

Quote:

Kaz, I just ordered 2 of the LB1 bars, did you use a resistor or is there one built into these bars? I am guessing there is not. 1/4 watt resistor sounds to be the thing to use?

Resistors are on the bars, I just talked to someone there today.

Well the lights are in and worked as expected, GREAT. I ran them for only 3 hrs and had to leave the lake, I hooked up yhe charger when I got home and it ran for 5 min. and was at 100% charge.

The pictures I took SUCK. I've got to get a new camera/phone mad.gif I don't know why they turn out so blured???

newlights.jpg

The picture does no justice for the true quality of the lights, as you can see the picture is dump and alot of dark blotches, maybe someone knows what is wrong with the camera??? my thoughts are to put it in a clay target thrower and say "PULL" grin.gif

Captkev:

The picture shows there is definately adequate light in the house. Maybe your flash didn't respond ?

My 4" LED truck back up light test ended just a hour ago and it went 47 hours before draining the 7.0 amp battery.

I'm not sure the battery even had a full charge either seeing I have no guage.

The light pattern in your pic looks alot like mine but I think mine is wider and maybe brighter. But it has (54) leds in the light fixture as well. Maybe I'll try posting some pics before I close it up.

Your idea I followed up on turned out great for me and I'm pleased as heck smile.gif sure beats ropes and stuff cluttered all over, and the light swivels into the canvas during dismantle, protected and out of the way.

Hi guys,

Been ice fishing since I was 2, but now looking at getting off the bucket and getting "wired".

What type of connections do you use to the battery? Also, is it easier to run depth finder/flasher off a seperate battery from lights, or use a larger deep cycle for both?

Thanks for all the info!

Satnu, did you use the red LB1 or the white one. Looking at their web site it looks like the red one puts out more light. Also can anybody get me link to the post where the guy had put his light bars into some clear plastic tubing? Things seem to break when out on the ice and I think it might be a good idea to go for the extra protection right out of the gates, rather than spend the $ to fix it after they get broken frown.gif. I think that I am leaning towards the red, any input...

Quote:

Captkev:

The picture shows there is definately adequate light in the house. Maybe your flash didn't respond ?

I didn't use a flash, there is something wrong with the camera.

As for the question about what I use for connectors... same pic. as before...

trap4.jpg

One red for the + side and one blue for the - side.

And I use a seperate batt. to run the lights. The yellow bungee keeps the batt. securley in place and the cup holder is moved to the other side of the bracket when fishing.