• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting for portable

Dano2

I got lucky when the guy on HSOList didn't realize how much he could get for the maxxima's. I ended up with 6 pair from him and another pair I ran into on the back shelf of a truck dealer that had them marked for 32.00 for a pair. I think I paid 49.00 plus shipping from the guy on hsolist being I bought 6 pair. I ended up putting 4 in my otter II. Man is that thing bright. I almost think it is so bright shinning down the ice holes that it may be attracting fish. Think that is possible? Would that be a violation in Minnesota? I wouldn't think so. At any rate, I don't have a dark spot any where in my shack, and these old eyes can tie even the smallest of jigs. Love my maxxima's.......

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm a little late, but better late then never. I received my order from hsolist for 5 of the 28 LED bike lights with mounts. MNfishingguy demonstrated them to me at the Phalen get together and I liked what I saw. After fishing with the latern a few times this year, I'm done with it! line melting surfaces, broken mantels and another propane canister. Anyway, I haven't tried them out on the ice yet, but in the house, they're BRIGHT! Holy cow, I think they'll work great, especially 5 of them, though I can't see needing that many. They came with no name batteries and they're still bright as can be. With brand name bats, I imagine that they'll be a little brighter.

Anyway, thanks for the reference guys! running wires just didn't seem like the best option for me. The auction description says 50 hour run time. That's pretty much an entire season, so $6 in batteries a year doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Great topic, guys! Can you believe how high tech fishing has become? From spears and nets to sonar, LEDs, composite gear and space age element blocking membrain fabric. Life is grand! Oh wait, that's just a drop in the bucket! grin.gif

Wow 50hours a season, and I thought I did'nt get out much, I can't let my girlfriend see this, she might think I fish too much, and I only see 20 hours a week, maybe 30hrs if I'm lucky, I guess thats why the wires don't bother me and I allways have the extra batterys anyway. ROCK SOLID DEPENDABILITY. I haven't had one bulb go out or even flicker for that matter. I will like to see the long term outcome of the bike lights... I've never had much luck with anything with batteries IN it, somehow I allways seem to get moisture/rust.

Well, if you think about it... I usually don't fish for more than 30-45 minutes after sunset in the portable, the time when lights are needed :-) That's just the portable. I won't need them in my perm. house grin.gif

I've spent many all nighters in my portable, I don't have a perm. if I had to guess, I'd say I've been on the Ice at least 170 to 180 hrs this season, and 80 of them have been at night, and I hope for another 100 hrs before it all melts away grin.gif

I think I said I'd post an update after I had a chance to use my cheap old "first Ice" rope lights. After about 20 trips, and 50 setups, from -20 to +35, they continue to perform perfectly. Volume of light is great, unless your planning on reading a very small Bible. And powered by the 12 volt booster pack, I've never seen the "low" LED.

The only problem I've had was last weekend while lake trout fishing in upper Ontario, one of the plug in ends came loose from the connector while I spun it the wrong way hooking it up. DOH. I just plugged it back on the rope, tightened the collar, and back in business in less than 30 seconds. Each and every single LED still works. And I'm very happy. I'd guess on the back of the snow machine, the Otter Lodge, and the rope lights, have about 200 miles on 'em this year.

I spent $7.99 each for 2- 6 foot strings.

That's my experience. I'd buy a couple of more strings (if I could get my hands on 'em) right now for spares in the future.

Not to knock any of the good construction the rest of you have done. Mine work fine. Easy too.

Craig

You are right...the black wire has no use in the fishhouse. I tried all combos, then just cut off the black wire and used the white and red. I thought it was going to be a little brighter, but it'll work. Maybe I'll get a couple more next year.

WOW... 17,144 views shocked.gif

Someone was looking for this info... I thought I'd bring it back to the top and make it easier to find, Some thing about lights for his camper and boat. smile.gif

I found another good led resource for many different applications and fixtures. Superbrightleds doesn't carry the tubes that were used at the portable mod demonstration, and this place does. Check it out at spectrumled.you-know-what. I haven't ordered from here so I can't guarantee anything, but I am going to give them a shot.

i bought some dome type lights from that spectrum led place online and they were very dim, including some burned out bulbs. i ended up returning them. dont have any experience with their rope led's but was not at all satisfied with their domes!

Just finished reading a bunch of these posts from last year. GREAT INFO GUYS! I liked what Captkev? had set up. I couldn't find out where he got his LED's from the posts I read. Anyone know what they are? Also, has anyone found any other good LEDs to check out? How about halogen 10 watt bulbs from Menards for $3? My dad saw this thread and showed me some of his contraptions he had made with halogens and they look good, but Iam not sure how long a vexilar battery will power a 14watt bulb. Still not sure yet. Again, nice info on this site. Thanks.

bf