• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Rebel 1650

Seabass77

Question

How many Lund Rebel owners are out there? I am starting my savings campaign to buy a boat in the summer of 2005 and I need to keep a boat in mind to help me save the money.

I like the rebel in that is has all the basic equipment I need, plus a few extras, yet it's still affordable.

I am thinking of a 1650 tiller with a 50 yamaha 4 stroke. Will the 50 idel down low enough for trolling?

What's your favorite thing about your Rebel?

What don't you like about it?

I am also looking at the explorer 1600 tiller but I don't know if it's worth the extra $2800 bucks.

Thanks for the help,
Joe

15 answers to this question

I had a 89 Rebel tiller 30hp evinrude and loved the boat. My brother still has it and it runs great, fishes fine except the biggest water. The rebel has all the basics and is a nice "started" boat, I had mine 10+ yrs. Just couldn't see a reason to upgrade, finally got a too good deal or I would still be using it.

I have a 98 Rebel tiller. Mine has a 40 hp Merc (max hp for that model year). Mine does about 31-32 mph on the gps. The layout is great and the boat handles pretty well even in rough water. I've had it on Mille Lacs, Winnie, and Lake of the Woods and never had a problem. The only thing that I wish was that it was a little deeper and wider and I wish it had a built in gas tank. The little 6 gallon tanks get to be a pain in the rear! With that being said, I have a friend who has the 1650 Explorer and that layout is even better than the Rebel. The Explorer is deeper,wider, and it has a built in gas tank. I also believe that the Explorer has front and rear livewells. The Rebel is a great boat, but the Explorer has some extras that would be great if you had the money.

Matt

I have an 03' 1650 Tiller with a 50 yam 4 stroke. Absolutely love it. Not 1 complaint. It tows easily,is big enough for the bigger waters and is small enough to put into the shallower lakes. The 1650 has 2 rod lockers and also has the V hull instead of the 16 rebel's rounded hull. A little more stable and better speed out of the same motor. The 6 gallon tank could be bigger but I just top it off when filling the truck. The front livewell is in a nice location. I did put in a livewell switch with a timer and there is no interior light's which I intend to solve this spring. For the money it's a nice rig. Bigger is always better but it's big enough for me. ( The fish don't seem to care). Scott

I have the '03 16' Rebel. After much debate decided the 1650 was essentially like hauling another 200# person around. I have a 25hp Evinrude 4 stroke that is awesome. This package does appx. 26 mph w/ two people (gps). I could have bought almost any boat out there and can not be happier with my choice: very comfortable (wife can take her shoes off with the carpeting), seaworthy, yet fishes like the bigger boats. Also, I can launch almost anywhere and run to the BWCA (properly permitted). Bigger is not always better. Excellent value.

Also, I did do a modification: I built a hinged enclosure across the rear transome area to cover the fuel tank and battery. I carpeted it and vented the area- similar to the enclsure on the 1650. I also run (2) 3 gallon Honda tanks rather than one six galloner (I run 30+ miles on 3 gallons). Honda tanks fit in the floor depressions near the transom. Good Luck!

Seabass, For what its worth I love my Alumacraft Lunker 165 CS 50 merc 4 stroke (max). It is in the same price range as the Rebel. It comes in both a tiller and counsel. It also can handle the slightly rougher water pretty well. Was out on Mille Lacs last year when I probably should not have been and it did all right. If you have your heart set out on Lund thats great, but if not I would at least look at the Alumacraft. It comes with interior lights, large live well, fair amount of storage, rod locker. My only complaint is that I wish it were a little wider in the transom.

Matt

Midnight, I will definately keep my options open, as much as I can. It's just that growing up in Minnesota and living here my whole life, I've always wanted a Lund. But, I have heard others promoting the lunker too and it sounds like a great rig.

Thanks for the replies folks. Keep em coming.

I had a Lund Pro-V 1660 with a Honda-50 4. The 50 was a great motor for the boat, but didn't like the 50 for back trolling for eyes. It seemed to go a little fast (maybe a tune-up would have help to slow down a little). So ended up using my Minn Kota to back troll, which worked great. Just make sure you have 2 batteries for trolling.

Used the boat on Millie Lacs a few times and it handled the big water great except one time. It was a very winding day. A 19' Lund was coming in as we were going out, they said "hope you like waves, becasue we don't", with a smile. It didn't matter if we were in a 16' or 19' Lund, it was rough water.

I would think, but not sure the size between the Rebel and the 1660 would be very close in size.

GL!

I have an '02 1650 V Rebel in Camo with a 40hp Honda 4stroke. Carpet floor, could of went with a linoleum like flooring but glad I went with carpet afterall. I use it all season to fish and then come fall it's a duck and goose hunting machine. Like others said it is big enough to handle some decent water and yet small enough it can get around in the shallows. I have a GREAT roller trailer and it is worth it. LOVE the rig and fits my needs prefectly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seabass - For what its worth, I have a Crestliner 1600 single console angler. Got a evinrude 40 horse, 4 stroke and I can troll down to 3/4-1 mile per hour. I have had my boat on Mille Lacs, Vermillion,and no complaints. I get 33-34mph on this set upand you should be in the same range. That Lund is a good rig.

Seabass,

I have a 95 Lund Explorer (same as the Rebel is now) with a 50hp yamaha four-stroke. I absolutely love the setup. The motor trolls down to about 2mph (calm water) going forward, slower when backtrolling. Top speed is about 33mph, one person & gear.