• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

max size motor

Question

9 answers to this question

Usually, 14' boats have a max of around 25 HP. There should be a plate on the back of your boat somewhere with the specs. If not, check with a dealer...but I would think that 20 or 25 would be the max.

BTW, I have a 20 HP on my 14'8" boat, and it scoots along quite nicely.

19"(20") Transom is a long shaft motor.

The boat you have is one of the deeper boats.. usually built a little heavier. I would guess your max hp is no less than 25hp, and could be as much as 40... BUT .. check the plate(yellow?) and find out the specified max before assuming it can handle a larger motor .. most 14's will fly with a 25... a 15 will plane 2 people and gear with the proper prop.

If your boat doesnt have the plate anymore .. I would research through a dealership, or the manufacturer.

yah looked for the plate with hp & weight rating but no find, have a 15hp ss but just not enough power/speed with 2 people and gear, so am in the market for a upgrade.
thanks for the replys

Your problem now is the short shaft motor. If you have the 20" transom. The boat itself is blocking the water from your prop when you get any speed at all. Measure down from the top of your transom to the plate just above your prop on the lower unit(when motor is mounted). If that length is shorter than your actual transom height, you need a longer lower unit.

A relatively modern 15 hp motor(70's+) with the proper shaft length and prop pitch should have no problem planing a 14' aluminum bench type boat. The only way it wont plane it is if you have too much weight, or weight not properly distributed(gas/large battery/heavy driver) all next to the transom of the boat. I have a modern 5 hp motor here that will plane out my 14' boat if I shift my body weight forward with no passengers... If your 15 cant plane yours and the shaft is proper, weight is even and not excessive, and your prop pitch isnt way to much .. your motor is in need of a serious tune up.

If your lower unit is not the problem, buy a prop that is pitched considerably less and all your problems may dissapear.

I purchased an old boat with the tag missing, so I called the coast guard and with a few measurements from the boat Length width etc. they gave me the actual coast guard rating which is used for insurance purposes/liability in the event of an accident.

griz, thanks for asking but i have another 14' that i'm going to put it on and donate to the kids.
i should have checked my posting on
trasom height, should have been 16" (big fingers) planes ok, runs good, props good but just not enough speed, again thanks to all who replyed.

I have a 14' Lund, 60" wide.

With a 25hp Evinrude, I can easily zip over 30mph. It is actually too fast, where I'm not comfortable at that speed, in that small of a boat. Now, when there are two of us, then it is just right........About 20+ mph.