• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Layering options under Cabela's Guide wear

Question

I recently purchased a new set of guide wear and chose the 2/XL-Tall Parka and XL-Tall bibs. Great gear, best I have even owned for sure! I got the parka one size larger to accommodate layering and have found it perfect but not too loose or sloppy without under layers to bulk it up. The oversize was a tip from a In-Fish Staff member, good tip too! Thank's J.S.!

Question.?

What layering options would you recommend for winter use, like polar fleece etc.? Also on boot scean, what sox and what blends work best in cold weather?

Thank's Rob!

BE..............><,,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 10-17-2000).]

5 answers to this question

Start your layering with a lightweight poly-pro or thermax long underwear. These fabrics take any persperation away from your skin. Depending on the temp you can go with another set of heavier weight long underwear or go to a wool, worsterlon or fleece shirt. Stay away from cotton it holds too much moisture and will not insulate when wet. A polarfleece jacket will be the final layer under your guidewear on top. Dress the bottom half in the same manner. But stay away from blue jeans, or any cotton pants. Use fleece or wool, the fleece wader liners work great.
As for your feet the same rules apply. NO COTTON. I've started using a heavier weight thermax liner sock and a heavy wool/thermax blend sock with great results. Just make sure your boots arnt tight when you put on heavy socks.

Rob

Would the expedition weight poly type thermal wear be a fair choice? I do like the fleece wader pants rather then jeans as they are much lighter and more comfertable.

What is your opinion on all rubber thinsulate/gor-tex style boots? Like Wolverine 800/1200, Timberline, etc. for cold wet fall and winter fishing?

Thank's for the feedback Rob!

BE......><,,>

The expidition weight will work fine for layering. I have been wearing the polar weight thermastat for two years now and the are great and have held up to wear real good without matting down like some do.

Rob

I wear 100% cotton underwear and I have no problems with them. It's true that polypropylene wicks away moisture, but I don't see moisture as a factor since I don't sweat in cold weather (I usually sweat in July and then only during heavy exertion). If I did, that would mean that maybe I have too much clothing on.

Just a thought. :-)