• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ball Problem

Question

Don't be funny. It's the ball on my boat. I have a '98 Tracker with a built in tank. Of course, like all boats it has a ball that needs to be pumped to get the gas going to the motor. Here's the problem, since I got it the gas line looses pressure 2-10 times per trip and the motor cuts out (almost always when going slowly or while idling). Rarely when going full bore. After a few pumps it works fine again. The ball is in good shape, and again, this has been going on since I bought the boat. Any ideas of how to remedy this annoyance? Thanks, I would appreciate any ideas.

12 answers to this question

I maybe able too help. Here are some things too look at. Two things come to mind right away. One a preasure problem. Your gas hose from the tank- check the seal- This maybe very hard see see with the eye since it sounds like your peasure only drops under low rpm. . Also if you pump your ball , does the ball stay hard ( full of gas) If not you may have a faulty valve in the ball. If you can get to the tank I would replace the hose and ball. Hope this helps If no please reply, we will get this figured out.

I agree that it sounds like a faulty fuel line. does it lose pressure when boat is not running? Do you see gas dripping at either connection?

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle

Dave, you can ask the question in the Equipment forum too, lots of great answers there.

I had the same problem when I first bought my boat five years ago. There must have been a pin-***** leak too small to see in the hose - replaced it & never had the problem again.

I had a problem similar to this a few years ago on a 60 hp Johnson. Do you ever have a real strong gasoline odor around the motor?

What mine ended up being was a pin hole in the body of the carborator, appearently way back when they machined the aluminum cast, the wall thickness got really thin in one spot. It broke through the thin spot and started to leak/suck air through the hole. It was a bear to start and keep running if you didn't squeeze the ball everytime you wanted to start the motor and it would leak gas out the hole if it wasn't running. Just another though if a new gas line doesn't solve the problem.

Ole

Had what seemed like the same problem on a 9.9 Johnson some time back. Got to the point where I had to pump the bulb just to keep the motor going at full speed. Replaced the fuel pump and it's been fine ever since. May want to look at that as well.
Good Luck.

If you are losing pressure there is a vacuum leak somewhere between the gas pump and the tank. I'd just replace the bulb, the two connecitons are likely culprits. If that fails, then replace the gas line too. The plastic does take UV damage over time. Granted, it's been doing this for a long time, but regardless, sooner or later the bulb will need replacement anyhow.

Thanks for the ideas. Will be getting a new bulb and hose. Sounds like a Tracker issue as there are 2 of us who have the same problem right after getting the boat. Other than that I've had good luck with the boat and trailer. Thanks again!