• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to remove mineral deposit from pontoon floats, and lower unit

jigglestick

Question

i just picked up a pontoon, that sat in the same lake all season for many seasons. it has on it a white build-up of what looks to be some sort of mineral substance. it is sort of hard, and tends to "chip" off when i tap on it, but there is a way lot of it.
i was looking for some sort of cleaner, or solvent, to aid in the removal of this nasty stuff.
any ideas, or experience with this???
thanks, jigglestick

------------------
an "all chapters, charter member" jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

11 answers to this question

I'd heat the vinegar and use a spray bottle to apply. Scrub it with a heavy duty 3M pad, the kind that is attached to a handle.

If that doesn't work, try Lime Away or The Works for tubs and showers.

A power washer should work, too. Used to be a place in St. Cloud that power washed with cleaning soda.

I had the same problem on my boat this spring and I used that stuff called CLR and it took it off with no problems. Its used to clean hard water build up on showers and sinks...etc....you can buy the stuff in most hardware stores...and places like Target..etc.

Jigglestick, just one name "The Works", toilet and bowl cleaner from Walmart, cost $ 1.60, use a spray bottle to apply it, then rinse it off.....just like new.

If deposits are thick, you might want to use a plastic brush to help, but it won't take much.

Beware stuff is nasty, if it gets on your sking ore eyes it will sting a lot, spray with wind direction, not into wind.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

I haven't used it yet, but the boat store I bought it from swears by it. (ZING)

They say to just mix it 1 to 1 with water and put it on with the soft brush they sell with it, let it foam up and just rinse it off.

They say it's the best stuff they have ever used to clean the boat and lower units after being in the water for a season, also will clean the transducers.

Ron

Trailmobile trailer acid works great. thats what they use to wash aluminum semi trailers and aluminum fuel tanks on trucks. spray it on the grime and build up will run off no scrubbing required. about 15.00 a gal.mix half and half. you can pick it up at any truck center.

Another one you can try is called Bolaris. I bought some at Crystal pierz and it works wonders. The stuff is pretty harsh and don't get it on your black plastic or trolling motor prop! It will turn it white!