• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'paint on' bedliner, other uses?

bwtrout

Question

has anyone used/seen 'paint on' truck bed liner on fiberglass? plywood? i was thinking about using it on the inside walls of my fiberglass boat instead of carpet/vinyl.

17 answers to this question

Funny you bring that up. I just came accross a HSOforum yesterday and there's a product they use on commercial boats that looks sweet and it's solid. email me! I'm thinking the same thing for the Ciscoe Kid.

chunk

I think it would work great.On my previous River Pro the guy who owned it before me had painted strips in the boat with bedliner and it worked very well.Couldn't slide on the stuff if you wanted.
My new River Pro has a very tough polyurethane floor with a grit mixed in with the polyurethane.Its thick and rubbery and you can't slip on it.Very tough.

I think you are on to something. If you can get it to adhere it might be a good thing to apply to the forward facing surfaces of a boat trailer thereby reducing the "sandblast" effect of road grit, which at least in the case of my trailer has lead to rust.? The Ol'Sneller

We've been applying it for more than a year now on everything from bows, gunwhales, floors, trailers, etc. Our customers absolutely love it. Haven't had a single complaint yet. You're right about the colors, too. The brand we happen to use allows us to tint it to any color/color combo imaginable. Great stuff. Use caution putting it on though. The surface must be prepped, and, in the case of bare aluminum or steel- chemically primed properly. Nothing sucks worse than trying to take it back off because it's not sticking in spots.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

TV Boy - it works excellent for coating and sealing an aluminum boat floor. Just follow the instructions - make sure you clean and prep the floor properly. I think they are also more colors than black available now.

I just thought of this idea. I was thinking of putting it on the middle of the trailer. So when you walk out you will get traction on the trailer you wont slip and get wet. The best idea is to buy one of those platforms. Also you could put it on top of your wheel wells. So if you have to climb in the boat after you got your feet wet you wont slip.

Just was wondering cuz someone told me to put the stuff on the roof of my fishhouse. The darn thing sprung a leak and I can't figure out where. What does the stuff cost and where could I get some. Is there something else that might work better?

GRIZ

Hey Steve,

I was thinking of getting my steel snowmobile trailer sandblasted and get it coated with this stuff. Is this something that you guys could do?

What about spraying it in the bottom of my duckboat? Would it take care of a leaky seam? Would it last a long time?

[This message has been edited by skindog (edited 04-21-2004).]

Hey Skindog,

We've already done one snowmobile trailer and the guy loved it. Since "bedliner" materials weren't designed to be applied on bare metal, what we do first, after it's sandblasted is to apply a phospheric acid etch primer to chemically bond the stuff to the metal. Look at it as "double protection". Works great. As far as the duck boat goes, I don't know that it would be a permanent fix for the seam, but we use another product that was designed for that, which would probably take care of your problem.

------------------

I coated the bottom of my jon boat last year, works great no slipping around on it at all. I bought an older 14fter and it had a couple of leaky rivets nothing major but a leak non the less and I don't have the leak anymore. I just scuffed everything with some 80 grit and painted it on including the top of the front bench. Using it as my river boat in the summer months it's nice to know that when you step from the bank onto that seat that your foot will stay right where you put it. I also put it on the trailer for walking out on the tongue; no slippying around there either.

I was thinking about coating the floor of my boat with this stuff after I'm done replacing the floor. Would it work as a water sealant to help prevent the new floor from rotting due to moisture?

Coating it on the plywood would definitely help to prevent water rot since water won't penetrate the coating. If you're going to put carpet over it anyway, rather than using this stuff, I would just soak the plywood with a good carpet glue before laying the carpet. I don't know what kind of luck one would have trying to get carpet to adhere to the bedliner.

------------------

I've used Hurculiner for my bed, and got 1 gallon at Menards for like $45 after $20 mail in rebate over a year ago. I know that Fleet Farm also carries it, and occasionally has a mail in rebate for it too.

I hope to be spraying one in my lund S-14 next weekend.I work and a construction chemical R&D Lab and we have a similar product. Some are urethanes, some polyurethanes, and some are polyureas. Ours polyurea is actually used for checmial containment and tank linings. It's not the roll on. (We have rollon that I have on my platform templates. It's used for parking ramps/ garages...etc It just takes overnight to dry.) The polyurea I am using is sprayed at about 160 degrees at high pressure and we have set times between 8 seconds and 45 seconds. I sprayed my lund WC12 a couple of years ago and its still great. AS STATED PREVIOUSLY THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE DO NOT UNDERSTAND IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT IS PREP WORK. YOUR ADHESION IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE WEAKEST AREA. i USE THE RED PLASTIC/abrasive BRISTLE WHEEL ON A 4" GRINDER. Bare "white metal finish" provides great substrate to adhere to. I primed parts of my 12' and didnt prime others and they are all holding up great. It gets used about 3x a week in open water season. Prior to coating I like to give it a wipe down with acetone. It removes surface contamination and flashes off to a dry surface almost instantly. If I figure out how, Ill post pics when Im done. Follow the manufacturers instructions on whatever produvt you use and dont take any shortcuts on prepwork. It will pay off in the long run.

We have sprayed snowmobile trailer decks and worked great. I havent decided if I want to prep and spray the boat trailer yet.