• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Johnson 9 1/2 horse worth fixing?

Iron Cowboy

Question

I bought a 1973 johnson 9.5 last year. Looks great but the mechanic I brought it to said it sat so long all the seals are bad and its going to have to be tore down completely. minimum of $350 fix for him to do it. Who's had one before, is this a real strong motor? is it going to be worth it? Is it a tuff job for the average guy thats fairly mechanicly inclined? Or what do you think a fair price is to ask for it sold as is? Thanks in advance, Pete

[This message has been edited by Iron Cowboy (edited 04-17-2004).]

14 answers to this question

My dad had the same motor, and it has been as close to perfect for him as you could ask. It has been all over and has never failed to go. The old Johnsons are reliable.

[This message has been edited by kslipsinker (edited 04-18-2004).]

I have two of these old evinrude 9.9 (we call them bull heads) and they are bullet proof. My dad bought one in 1971 for $371.00 and it still runs great. the other one was on a pontoon and you could literally start it with your toes .I haven't run that one in a few years but I'm sure it would fire right up.I think $350.00 seems high but shop around if your not going to do the work your self,there are allot of parts changers out there.Now to find a mechanic that can diagnose problem is a whole other story. seems like you know what's up . best of luck.Metro

I could not agree more these are exelent motors. How much did you pay for it? I saw one in running, GOOD running condition for 385.00. I have a buch of spare parts for one and would rebuild it if you want to sell it.

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 04-18-2004).]

They are a great motor but only when they run.
The at least $350 bill is more then the motor is worth. As is its not worth much.
How much did you pay for it?
If you want to tackle the job yourself check for spark and compression, if everything is checks out it may be worth your while, get yourself a manual and dig in. Your other alternative is to sell it for parts.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I paid $250 for it thinking I got a great deal because its very clean and supposedly ran great with no problems. It does run fine at idle, it just wont run any other time. I could try to sell it like I got suckered but cant bring myself down to that level. Man some people today make me sick, when did MONEY become the most important thing in the entire world. How can you sell a motor to a guy who plans to take his son out fishing knowing they wont make it far if at all frown.gif I should of known better though. like my dad used to say "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" Im sure I could have it fixed and have a real good little motor. but the $600 I would have in to it would get me a much newer motor. I guess ill probably see what I can get for it as is and if its not worth selling for that Ill get a manual and have a nice little project for the garage when the wifes in a mood or her mom is over. Thanks again guys, Pete

Post a message here or call me 612-242-1311
Like I said I got a butt ton of parts for one and would buy it and rebuild it myself.
Don't want to beat you up about price but 250.00 in a lot for one that needs an overhaul.
P.S. What was the name of the Business that scewed you? Most of us would probably not want to patronize them.

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 04-18-2004).]

Hmmm, It may not be as bad as you think. Your taking someone Else's word that it needs a complete overhaul. Inspect the gas lines, bulb, filter and connections. If that doesn't get you anywhere pull the line from the fuel pump and check for pressure. Borrow a compression tester. Next step pull the carb and clean it. Make sure soak it overnight and do a complete cleaning.

It was a private party. Any idea what its worth this way? I dont think it needs a complete overhaul. the guy just said all the gaskets need to be replaced and to do that you have to tear the entire thing apart. Like I said theres a point where if its worth too little compared to what I paid I'll just make it a project.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Iron Cowboy (edited 04-18-2004).]

These older Johnsons usually were great for getting across the lake then trolling all day, never skipping a beat. They would troll at a crawl and zip you back when the day was done. Easy to fix, and reliable, hate to see you give up on it right away. They may be only worth around $400, depending on condition, of course...then look at replacement cost, check hsolist and see what they sell for, add shipping, too! I'd suggest getting a second opinion if you can't do the work yourself. A lot of those older OMC engines you could overhaul with a couple wrenches and a big screwdriver. There's not that much to these..

If you are mechanically inclined you can fix the motor yourself. I have rebuilt two outboards myself. You did not say what seals are bad. Most "seals" are in the lower unit, water pump etc. The gaskets in the carburetors are not likely leaking. Start with a compression test. If both cylinders are within 10% of each other and are about 120#, you've got a motor that will run. If compression is low, either part it out or bite the bullet and rebuild it. Personally, if the compression were low, I'd sell the lower unit and move on. Good manuals exist on that motor and may even be available in you're library.

ST and MuskyHunter speak the truth. On top of it all, a good running 9.9 is priceless to a guy like me. Put it on the sporty, on the kicker mount for the big boat, on your buddy's 14 when his craps out, or when you need blender drinks on basswood. They're light, durable, and rather versatile. Before you condemn her to the basketcase, check it over. Sounds like it's starving for fuel. My .02

chunk

I would say it's worth 150.00 to 175.00 as is for parts or repair. It's worth a lot more if you do the work. If you have the work done it will not be worth what you have into it. I Would give you 250.00 for it. like I said I don't want to beet you up any more than you've been already and I like these projects. Plus I've already got some parts.