• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Merc Mechanic requested

EBass

Question

I thought there was a thread about this, but I didn't find it.

Can you fellas give me a few names and #'s that do good jobs on Mercs?

Any info would be appreciated.

I need a gasket between the manifold and the block. It leaks gas and I can see it leaking from there. And yes it still squeals when the engine is warm and the throttle is applied. I'm thinking lower unit bearings or something.

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the #'s!!! I'm going to call to get second and thrid opinions.

My crank case seals dried up and it sounds like the whole engine will need to be taken apart and rebuilt. Which will cost a small fortune just for labor. I may be better off getting another used 25H. But who's to say that I won't run into simular issues?

I can get a used 25H for $650 plus some money for mine which I hope will be a couple hundred. So do I pay 450 for another used 25H or pay the whatever to get mine rebuilt.

Mine runs but it leaks gas and air between the manifold and the block.

Yes Surface that was another option that I could go. However I'm not that mechanically inclined, nor do I want to take the time.

Well I kinda do for the experience, but I want to fish now.

One mech thinks that the squeal is coming from the crank case, the other mech said he doesn't think so. UGH!

She was a good 25H when she ran.

Another option is to get a brand new one, but I'm going to be running rivers and banging into rocks. I'd hate to do that to a new Honda that I paid over 3G's for.

I think I'll get that other used one with a 30 day warrenty. (Used dealers have to have a limited warrenty right?)

Ebass I remember the problem from last year, sorry to hear your still not up and running.
Its a hard decision whether to pay a shop to fix it or disclose the problem and sell it as is. You have one other alternative. Thats buy a manual and have at it. If things don't go right you can always sell the parts. smile.gif