• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

ON THE ROAD again, the song keeps playing in Chuck’s truck. Around noon Chuck picked me up and we went to town First stop was Big Earls where Chuck picked up a tye dyed orange tee shirt two sizes too big and I past. I just happen to have a rather large orange hoodi that will work well in the warm weather. A box of shells and an orange baseball cap were next. Since Chuck was pushing my wheelchair he used my lap as his storage basket. Up to the checkout where he asked Claire for two hunting license. I gave him a look and he said "One is for you, the guys all passed the hat and you have no excuse so now you have to buy a license "Guess I will be deer hunting this season at the HOTEL.

After the General Store we had a few more stops to make Amy’s Bakery was just down the block and there was a parking space out front so we parked and went inside. Amy gave Chuck a smile and a hello and I got a very welcomed hug and a kiss on the cheek. I also got a wide eyed look from Chuck at my greeting. Amy asked if we were here for the HOTEL order and Chuck told her yes. Amy then asked me if I had some time for a bite which I replied with a yes. "Your usual" she asked and I just smiled and said yes again. We sat down at a table and Amy walked away and stopped asking Chuck if he wanted anything. Chuck said just coffee. A few minutes later Chuck was sipping on his coffee watching me dig into a double serving of apple pie with a cold glass of milk close at hand.

I finished my pie and Amy came over with several bags of French bread, Kaiser rolls cinnamon buns and huge apple turnovers. She said I hope that will get you through the weekend and Bobby there is a white bag in there just for you. I turned to leave but not until I got another even bigger hug then the first and a kiss on the other cheek. What can I say I love eating at Amy’s place. I got in the truck and Chuck tucked the bakery stuff away. He climbed in and looked at me and all I said was "I’ll tell you someday but not today" Chuck started the truck and the next stop was Ma and Pa’s grocery. We parked and went inside. The little bell over the door jingled loudly in the quiet and Ma peaked around from her TV and gave us a greeting. She gave Chuck a hug and just said hello to me. I looked at Chuck and he said "I’ll tell you someday but just not today" and we both grinned at each other.

Chuck talked with Ma about our can goods order and I made my way back to the butchers counter and Pa who was waiting for me He pulled out a chair and told me I was looking a little pale. I sat in the chair and told him thanks, shopping is still hard on me. We made some small talk and he told me we were good to go on any deer we wanted processing. Of course he said he has no worry about our party filling his cooler. He did it with a grin on his face and all I could do is hold up my hands, truth be known it has been pretty slow at the HOTEL the past few years. Feeling better I pulled Chuck away from Ma and we headed to Little Louie’s Licorice & Liquor Shop to talk to Louie about our order and to add a few more twenty pound bags of ice to our order. If we do get some deer in this warm weather we are going to need to cool them down quick. Well tomorrow afternoon we will be off to the HOTEL I will try and get a story in but I am sure it is going to be busy. Everything will have to get loaded in Chucks truck as I will not be driving and we will have to wait till my son in law Matt gets off work so he can follow us up. We are just hours away from another deer season here at Lake Iwanttobethere

THIS MORNING FOUND me digging in the front closet for my deer hunting gear. Duncan was trying his best to get around me and get inside the closet, his nose was twitching away. I was pulling gear out and making decisions on wether I should bring the heavy winter clothes or take a chance and go light. Hunting boots and also the sorrels were pulled out going to bring both. Can’t feel my feet so I better keep them warm to be safe I thought. Old duffle bag was packed and I had a hard time zipping the zipper close. Bag was tossed out on the deck along with a sleeping bag and one of my favorite down pillows. Gun cabinet was open and the forty year old single shot twenty gage was pulled out, shot my first deer with it. Now Duncan was really taking an interest in what I was doing. I snapped it open and looked down inside the shinny clean barrel. Into a case it went along with a box of #6;s in case I see some grouse and a box of slugs that are so old it may be something to place a wager on if they go off.

Back inside the cabin to eat lunch and wait for Chuck and Matt to arrive. I gulp down a tomato sandwich as I watch four apple pies cool that were just taken from the oven. I am not even going to bother asking the wife for a slice, I know they are for deer camp. Most of the morning Duncan has been my best friend, he thinks he is going to go hunting. I know that he will be staying home to keep the wife company. Yesterday the wife finished picking apples and she rode the tractor and mulched up leaves. Duncan was all over and when the wife was done and they both came in the house I gave Duncan a pat on the head only to find a tick working its way in. I pulled the tick off and got that look from Duncan as he went and laid down under the kitchen table at the wife's feet. You think I would have gotten at least a thank you.

I had a phone close by and it rang often with guys checking in. I had a yellow tablet close at hand and made a few checks here and there. Everyone has something to bring to camp, from food to firewood to charcoal and ice. Guys were calling in on when they should be arriving and so far everything was riding smoothly. Only problem so far was the temperature, as I write this it is sixty-one in the shade, a little warm for deer hunting, a nice temp for grouse hunting and a doable temp to go fishing. I left the desk to go find a roll of antenna wire that I came across this summer shopping. Local college hockey team plays tonight and tomorrow night and I am not counting on our wire being up at the HOTEL Some hockey, A little drink under the stars on a warm night might just feel about right.

Chuck just drove over so I am going to end this and post it. Some of you may not read it for awhile as you are getting ready to leave for camp or are already there. Either way beep your horn when you go by us here at Lake Iwanttobethere

ON THE ROAD again, the song keeps playing in Chuck’s truck. Around noon Chuck picked me up and we went to town First stop was Big Earls where Chuck picked up a tye dyed orange tee shirt two sizes too big and I past. I just happen to have a rather large orange hoodi that will work well in the warm weather. A box of shells and an orange baseball cap were next. Since Chuck was pushing my wheelchair he used my lap as his storage basket. Up to the checkout where he asked Claire for two hunting license. I gave him a look and he said "One is for you, the guys all passed the hat and you have no excuse so now you have to buy a license "Guess I will be deer hunting this season at the HOTEL.

After the General Store we had a few more stops to make Amy’s Bakery was just down the block and there was a parking space out front so we parked and went inside. Amy gave Chuck a smile and a hello and I got a very welcomed hug and a kiss on the cheek. I also got a wide eyed look from Chuck at my greeting. Amy asked if we were here for the HOTEL order and Chuck told her yes. Amy then asked me if I had some time for a bite which I replied with a yes. "Your usual" she asked and I just smiled and said yes again. We sat down at a table and Amy walked away and stopped asking Chuck if he wanted anything. Chuck said just coffee. A few minutes later Chuck was sipping on his coffee watching me dig into a double serving of apple pie with a cold glass of milk close at hand.

I finished my pie and Amy came over with several bags of French bread, Kaiser rolls cinnamon buns and huge apple turnovers. She said I hope that will get you through the weekend and Bobby there is a white bag in there just for you. I turned to leave but not until I got another even bigger hug then the first and a kiss on the other cheek. What can I say I love eating at Amy’s place. I got in the truck and Chuck tucked the bakery stuff away. He climbed in and looked at me and all I said was "I’ll tell you someday but not today" Chuck started the truck and the next stop was Ma and Pa’s grocery. We parked and went inside. The little bell over the door jingled loudly in the quiet and Ma peaked around from her TV and gave us a greeting. She gave Chuck a hug and just said hello to me. I looked at Chuck and he said "I’ll tell you someday but just not today" and we both grinned at each other.

Chuck talked with Ma about our can goods order and I made my way back to the butchers counter and Pa who was waiting for me He pulled out a chair and told me I was looking a little pale. I sat in the chair and told him thanks, shopping is still hard on me. We made some small talk and he told me we were good to go on any deer we wanted processing. Of course he said he has no worry about our party filling his cooler. He did it with a grin on his face and all I could do is hold up my hands, truth be known it has been pretty slow at the HOTEL the past few years. Feeling better I pulled Chuck away from Ma and we headed to Little Louie’s Licorice & Liquor Shop to talk to Louie about our order and to add a few more twenty pound bags of ice to our order. If we do get some deer in this warm weather we are going to need to cool them down quick. Well tomorrow afternoon we will be off to the HOTEL I will try and get a story in but I am sure it is going to be busy. Everything will have to get loaded in Chucks truck as I will not be driving and we will have to wait till my son in law Matt gets off work so he can follow us up. We are just hours away from another deer season here at Lake Iwanttobethere

================opeer friday=========================================

THIS MORNING FOUND me digging in the front closet for my deer hunting gear. Duncan was trying his best to get around me and get inside the closet, his nose was twitching away. I was pulling gear out and making decisions on wether I should bring the heavy winter clothes or take a chance and go light. Hunting boots and also the sorrels were pulled out going to bring both. Can’t feel my feet so I better keep them warm to be safe I thought. Old duffle bag was packed and I had a hard time zipping the zipper close. Bag was tossed out on the deck along with a sleeping bag and one of my favorite down pillows. Gun cabinet was open and the forty year old single shot twenty gage was pulled out, shot my first deer with it. Now Duncan was really taking an interest in what I was doing. I snapped it open and looked down inside the shinny clean barrel. Into a case it went along with a box of #6;s in case I see some grouse and a box of slugs that are so old it may be something to place a wager on if they go off.

Back inside the cabin to eat lunch and wait for Chuck and Matt to arrive. I gulp down a tomato sandwich as I watch four apple pies cool that were just taken from the oven. I am not even going to bother asking the wife for a slice, I know they are for deer camp. Most of the morning Duncan has been my best friend, he thinks he is going to go hunting. I know that he will be staying home to keep the wife company. Yesterday the wife finished picking apples and she rode the tractor and mulched up leaves. Duncan was all over and when the wife was done and they both came in the house I gave Duncan a pat on the head only to find a tick working its way in. I pulled the tick off and got that look from Duncan as he went and laid down under the kitchen table at the wife's feet. You think I would have gotten at least a thank you.

I had a phone close by and it rang often with guys checking in. I had a yellow tablet close at hand and made a few checks here and there. Everyone has something to bring to camp, from food to firewood to charcoal and ice. Guys were calling in on when they should be arriving and so far everything was riding smoothly. Only problem so far was the temperature, as I write this it is sixty-one in the shade, a little warm for deer hunting, a nice temp for grouse hunting and a doable temp to go fishing. I left the desk to go find a roll of antenna wire that I came across this summer shopping. Local college hockey team plays tonight and tomorrow night and I am not counting on our wire being up at the HOTEL Some hockey, A little drink under the stars on a warm night might just feel about right.

Chuck just drove over so I am going to end this and post it. Some of you may not read it for awhile as you are getting ready to leave for camp or are already there. Either way beep your horn when you go by us here at Lake Iwanttobethere

===================sat==============================================

WHERE DO I start? Arrived at deer camp with Matt following us in his truck. A few trucks already parked by the HOTEL Chuck pulled around them and parked almost at the front door and that is when I saw the new and improved front porch. The guys had raised the porch to be the same level as the door and doubled it in size. This was so a H/C ramp could be attached and still leave room for the rocking chair. I sat in the truck for awhile and just looked at what the guys had done and I didn’t know what to say. Chuck said, "Don’t go thinking the ramp is for you, it just makes it easier to unload the trucks" and with that he bumped shoulders with me and then said "Lets try that ramp out"

As the evening went on we stowed gear and rifles found their way to the big rack on the wall. Supper was ate and a poker game started but no one really stayed up past ten. Well I should say everyone was in their bunks I don’t know when everyone was sleep. Morning came early and most guys were up before the alarm clock. Waffles were made and soon it was time to head out to the stands. Matt went to my swamp stand and I told him all I could about it. I went back to bed to snooze for awhile and wait for someone to come back with news of a deer being shot. Half the guys came back to camp for lunch, the others stayed on their stands in the mid sixty degree weather and ate sandwiches made up from Pa’s cold cuts and Amy’s Kaiser rolls. After lunch Skinny told me to get my gear and he would take me out to a stand.

I sat in my wheelchair in a small trailer towed behind Skinny’s ATV I had my back to the swamp stand so I could not see it. We pulled up along side and I got another surprise. They had rebuilt my swamp stand doubling it in size and adding a shallow ramp. The swamp stand never was very high but now I could sit in it in my chair. Skinny pushed me up and then put some camo netting around the chair and I was settled in. Skinny looked at me and just said " Your wife wanted that wood gone from behind your garage" I just nodded my head. Skinny handed me a cell phone and told me to call if I get deer or I want to leave early other wise he would be back at dusk.

Skinny turned around and left and in a few minutes I could no longer hear him and the woods went quiet. I rested the old twenty gage against the railing and slipped a slug in the shotgun and it closed with a loud click. On the butt of the old gun I have an elastic sleeve that holds shells. Today I have two slugs and three #6’s close at hand. I sat in the warm sunshine and I have to admit I dozed off a few times. It was getting towards dusk and I got a little more serious about deer hunting and I started to look down the trail and off into the swamp brush. I was watching when the three grouse landed on the trail and started working their way towards me. Normally I would not pay them to much attention but I was hunting with a shotgun and so I took the slug out of the gun and set it on the railing. I reached down and got out some #6’s and slipped it in the gun. I closed it with a loud click that I thought the birds would hear but they did nothing.

Shot the first bird in the head and the other two jumped up in the air and came right back down. I open the twenty and the spent shell sailed over my shoulder. I pulled out another shell from the butt and slipped it in, Raised the shotgun and grouse # 2 was laying next to number one. Number three took off made a circle and landed a few feet away from the first two. I am thinking to myself that this is going to make a good story at deer camp. I reached down and pulled out another shell, slipped it into the shotgun closed it with a click. Took aim at the third bird and squeeze the trigger. Bird three disappeared into a cloud of feathers. Looked down and saw I had pulled out a slug and shot the bird with that. A few minutes later Skinny came down the trail, he had heard the shots and thought maybe I had a deer. He collected the two birds and I swore him to secrecy on the third and we loaded up and headed back to the HOTEL. Steaks and grouse tonight and I am cooking here at the HOTEL

Whew! Wow Bobby, you've been prolific as of late and I mean that in a positive way. Takes a while to catch up on the French trees, the Puddle Humper, Duncan and the rest but I made 'er. Sounds like you've got some pretty great friends. Hope you continue to keep us informed. :D

WELL THE WIFE is none too happy here with me this afternoon. Chuck ran into town for a few things and when he gets back we are off to the HOTEL. The wife things we are nuts heading to the HOTEL to hunt the final weekend with a blizzard howling outside the door here. That and the fact that I just got home from the hospital a few days ago. Yup I was back in the hospital for a week, a week from the HOTEL A week ago Monday I got a ride into town with Reed and his deer. First we had to remove Reed’s deer from the front seat and tie it on his hood over his objections. I had some rehab sessions in the afternoon and of course had to vote on Tuesday. Early morning wound appointment with the nurse then I was planning on going back to the HOTEL Wednesday except for a small problem.

A couple of weeks ago I slipped off the rocking chair at home and scun up my shin. Well a scrape developed into a cut and when the wound nurse saw it she sent me to the big city hospital. Within 24 hrs my lower leg blew up with an infection and my leg looked like a fall red maple leaf. I went on some serious iv antibiotics and it took 6 days for the swelling to go down. Mean while my leg went from bright red to pale red to burnt orange to mild orange to a leg color. Blood cultures were taken and I still have something else growing in my blood but I was given the OK to go home. All from a little scrape that I would never have given a second thought when I was young.

So Chuck is going to take me to deer camp with the promise to keep an eye on me. Doubtful I will get in a stand but at least I will be at camp. Looks like you have to be young to get a deer as two of the guys grand kids have scored the only deer bedside Reeds. I have some pictures to post later of the girls and their deer. The girls came up during the week and did not have a lot of time to hunt but sure used the time wisely. Skinny and Louie are sure proud of their grand daughters, you would almost think they got the deer as they have been rubbing it in to other HOTEL residents.

Wind is letting up some here. I can tell because only Ed is outside of his squirrel house trying to keep the sticks together. Guess that report of male squirrels taking most of the summer off doing nothing and letting their female partners gather nuts and work on the nest is true. Trouble with that is I do believe that Eddie is also a male, Hmmm

Well Chuck is here and I am waiting at the back door like a little kid getting ready to go to camp. The wife is telling Chuck about what pills I have to take and when. How someone should be with me all the time and make sure I use the feather pillow and prop my head. Easy on the beer and no hard stuff. Butter is a no-no and make sure I take my blood sugars and if she smells any smoke it better be second hand as cigars are not on the very short approvel list. Chuck is nodding his head and gives me a few looks with that grin on his face. I don’t know if that is a good thing or not. Either way I am headed back to deer camp here at Lake Iwanttobethere

I DID NOT go out to a stand this morning, it was to cold. Matter of fact it is around noon here now and it is only twenty-eight out. You can see your breath and orange tee shirts are being worn but they are buried under layers of other clothing. Eight to ten inches of clean white snow on the ground and the place sure has a different look about it Guys were excited about going out even though the odds of getting a deer this late in the is against them. Last night the poker game was still going at midnight and there was nice smoke cloud bank at about five feet. I was smoking one of my own heaters as I thought I might as well inhale my own smoke rather then the cloud of second hand smoke the wife warned about..

The last of the baby potatoes and some of Reed’s venison have had been added to the stew pot. What carrots we had left have pretty much been slow cooked to nothing. Coney sauce sits on the stove top for those who want to smeared it on polish sausage. Guys are coming in from the stands kicking snow off boots and making their way to the pot belly stove to warm up. For now no one had seen anything but no one was complaining about sitting on their stands and having snow to look at. It took a few minutes but bottoms were warm and clothes came off to be piled on bunks. Bowls were filled and warm rolls were soon being dipped in the stew. Cold hands wrapped around hot coffee cups and conversations broke out and soon the HOTEL was filled with laughter and contended friends sharing time together.

Even though I did not make it out to a stand I was still hunting this morning. I spent several hours out on the newly expanded front porch. Skinny helped me into the rocking chair and tossed a heavy quilt on me. Elmer was not hunting but he kept an eye on me and kept my mug of hot cocoa filled as I watched the trails from the HOTEL that spread out into the woods. This may sound like a waste of time to you but we have shot deer that were following hunters out of the woods. There is a reason why you should always watch your 6

The sunshine feels good against my face and I have to admit I am happy that I am kind of deer hunting. Due to my illness I have missed all of summer, there was no fishing for me and fall was over before it started. I lost a year here and I am not going to get it back. Same with Duncan we lost a prime year bird hunting. I hope to make up for it all next year but it is going to be hard to do. Not getting any younger and that alone is going to make me a little slower. Am using the laptop that the x-son in law cleaned up for me. No problems with it and it is nice to have something that I only write Lake stories on. Kind of feast or famine here. If I write everyday I am home and feeling OK, if I go for several days and you read no updates then there is a good chance I am back in the hospital. I am hoping that I am on a slow pace for recovery and things like the leg infection are behind me. Now I hoping that winter passes me by as quickly as summer and fall did. I can’t describe how much I want to be sitting in the Puddle Humper waiting on a bass to blow up on a buzz bait smoked across the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere

LAST FEW DAYS of deer season were mirror images of each other weather wide.. Cool enough to see your breath in the morning then it warmed up to the lower thirties by mid afternoon. A couple of does were seen but no shots taken other then the one I got off. Yup, I took a shot at a deer on Sunday morning. I was sitting in the rocking chair on the porch and I was nice and warm with the sun on my face and the wind blocked on two sides by the walls of the HOTEL. I must have taken short nap and I woke up to see a buck sneaking around the back of Chuck’s old pick up truck. I didn’t move a muscle and when the buck put his head down in one smooth movement I raised Matt’s 30-30 and let loose a shot. Well, the rocking chair was sent backwards and by the time I got settled back down the buck was gone but I could see bright red blood on the snow.

Elmer come flying out the HOTEL’S door fumbling with his glasses and yelling at me to find out what I was shooting at. I told him I shot at a buck and pointed out at the blood on the snow. Elmer went back inside and came out with his bomber hat on, his sorrel boots and his ragged well-worn orange underwear. He walked slowly over to Chuck’s truck, mostly because slow is the only speed Elmer walks at. He bent down at the truck picked something up and made his way back to the porch. He held up some snow that was red and I looked at his hands to see it was part of the red lens cover from Chuck’s truck. All I could say is "I guess I missed"

This morning Chuck and I went to Mike’s Auto Savage and got a replacement red lens cover, I am hoping the story ends there but I don’t think it will. Sunday I watched the football game and guys came in from their stands and ate lunch. By the end of the game duffle bags were all packed and guys headed back home. Something new this season as Myself, Elmer, Chuck and Vic stayed for another night. None of us have jobs to be at this morning so there was no reason to rush out of camp. W played cribbage and drank a little and went to bed when we felt like it. I didn’t get home till noon and that was just in time for my health nurse to draw some blood from me and the wife to get lunch on the table.

Duncan greeted me at the door and sniffed my duffle bag over. I think he was looking for a grouse to carry around. I did have a bone in the side pocket so I gave that to him and he left happy. Came in the den and sat down on my sun heated chair and the wife left me to go yak on the phone. Started writing this story and I got to here before I leaned back in my chair and thought to myself "Now What" deer season is done, Thanksgiving in a few days then a month away from Christmas. Then a long list of calendar days of nothing but ice fishing. Guess I will be spending time at the Lodge hoping the FELLOWS can entertain me. We will of course have the Ice House Fling but right now we have open water but it looks like this long warm spell might have come to a close. Should have enough snow to start building the back of the Luge run. But most important, grand kid number eight will make her? appearance in early January here at Lake Iwanttobethere

TIS THE YEAR for breaking records. I have already mention that due to illness the Puddle Humper did not get wet this year, a record that was twenty-eight years old. I did not go fishing this year a record that is decades old. Now I am going to miss out on Thanksgiving dinner at the mother in laws house. That record has or would have stood for forty years. The mother in law is none too happy but is understanding. If I can catch an infection at home that put me in the hospital for a week then what would I catch from the forty some people and kids with colds at her house. Of course the wife is going to stay home with me even though I told her me and Duncan would be OK for a few hours if she left.

Yesterday the wife went to Ma and Pa’s grocery to get a small turkey for us. Pa told her he could give her a god deal on a live bird but the wife declined. While she was gone her uncle Jimmy stoped by. He had heard I was not going to be at dinner and he came by to give me a small paper bag. I open the bag to find a quart Mason jar filled with a clear liquid. I knew what it was right away, Moonshine and not the stuff you buy in the store this was the real stuff. Jimmy told me he has a friend who has a friend who has a friend and he thought I should have some for what ails me. He then open the lid and took a sip and shook his head, told me he needed to taste it to make sure it had not gone bad. I took a sip myself and was speechless at the quality. A few minutes later I told him thanks and he told me not to tell the wife and not to share. If I am having one of the moments that I should take a good sip and he guaranteed that I would forget what was bothering me. I put the mason bottle in the bottom of the gun cabinet for safe keeping.

This afternoon finds the wife baking pies, two apple and two pumpkin. She went out to the greenhouse and hauled the big box of apples into the cabin. She also hauled in about a dozen and a half of bright red ripe tomatoes. If you remember we hung plants upside down in the greenhouse to ripen the green tomatoes and it is working. Best part is we don’t have the fruit fly invasion that we did by ripening the tomatoes in a closed cardboard box with a banana inside the cabin although that worked well too. Thirty-four out here and water is dripping off the eves. Kind of a snow rain mix falling that will only freeze later and have to be attacked with ice melt and ice scrapers.

Right about this time last year that I found out I had cancer and LCDD I might have the cancer under control but now I have all of the side effects of treatment to work on. The low immune issues keep me home bound and the lost ability to walk on my own has really put a wrench into what I want to do and can do. Hard to keep my spirits up as I have more bad days then good. There are a lot of fish out there I didn’t catch and plenty of grouse eating buds that should have been on my fall supper plate. Happy I have great neighbors and friends that go beyond just being called friends. I will be thinking about them all tomorrow and giving thanks for them, that includes all of you who have been following along on this side tracked trail that I went on a year ago here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Took me longer to try and log into this site yesterday then it did for me to write this story!, you can always check my page to get the latest story.

THANKSGIVING HAS COME and gone for another year but Black Friday has become Black Weekend. The oldest daughter and her husband went shopping Friday so the little girls stayed here. I was treated to six hours of Sesame Street and shown every toy in the toy box by the twenty month old and I enjoyed every minute of it. Thanksgiving started off with the home football team losing, again. I was so discouraged that I open the gun cabinet and took a nip from the mason bottle. Uncle Jimmy was right, after the third nip I forgot about the football game completely.

Got a call from my neighbor Chuck that he had some more venison for me. Seems his son in law arrowed a doe and he wanted Chuck to butcher it for him. Chuck told him fine but he wanted some steaks and a couple of roasts. Well they butchered the deer and Chuck set the steaks and roasts out on the swing while he cleaned up the garage. Well someone in the cabin let out Tatter his bull mastiff. Tatter figured the meat on the swing was his and he ate it all, wrapper included. Chuck called me this morning with the bad news.

Temperature above freezing here and sun is trying to come out. What snow we have on the ground is disappearing. The snow and ice is gone from the deck and I have reminded the wife that the deck is number one priority when removing snow. I see Big Earl has snow throwers for sale and I am thinking about going down there this week to buy one before I change my mind. Rain in the forecast and it has been warm enough that I do not hear the furnace clicking on. A small fire in the fireplace is all that is needed to keep the chill away. All the snow that was moved for the luge run at the Lodge has just turned into a giant wet snowball. We were going to borrow one of the snow makers from the ski hill but with the forecasted rain we will have try later.

I was going to go down to the Lodge this morning but then I remembered it was a Saturday and the Women’s Auxiliary would be in the meeting room so I decided to go down this afternoon instead. Nothing against the Ladies but then again I would rather not become the focus of them. Wife asked me when we are going to go get a Christmas tree and I told her I will pass on the request to Chuck. Another tradition to be missed this year, but Chuck will shoot me a nice top I am sure.

I have been hinting that I would like a new pellet gun, one with a scope preferred. I don’t mind Ed and Eddie the squirrels, matter of fact I am even tolerating them in the bird feeders and apple trees. But their cousins have move in and they need to be introduced to a .177 Also a few rabbits think they can use the crawl space under the sheds as homes. Don’t need the garden filled with their off offspring come spring here at Lake Iwanttobethere.

BEEN AWHILE SINCE I have written anything. Did not think it was that long but I have been busy this week which is a good thing, means that I have been able to get out some. Snow that we got a few weeks ago is all but gone. Only a small pile of snow along the garage where the sun can’t reach. Of course it might be gone by now if we had any sunshine. Nothing but overcast sky here and Sunshine Ray says we can expect to see more of the same. Almost cold enough now for the ski hill to start making snow. Lake Iwanttobethere is ice free, not even a cube floating anywhere. Ice House Fling is once again on hold as we are looking at another warm winter here.

A couple of DR appointments in the big city, good news there is my cancer, for now seems to be gone. I was told it will come back but we will be ready for it when it does. My DR visits are now just every sixty days to monitor me. Now if I can just get past all the side effects of treatment I will be a happy camper. Of course with the good news there is some bad news. All the tests I took last winter will need to be repeated. As last year’s tests are now my base tests and the new tests will be used to compare against them. Stupid me I thought I was done with all of that poking and prodding. Now if I can just keep getting better and learn how to walk with just a cane and drive again. Fishing might just be back in my future next season.

The work trailer that was full of junk finally made it to the dump. The wife tried five times to back the trailer up till the daughter told her to get out and she would do it. First time the daughter tried she put it in and she did not mention it to the wife that she has been backing up the boat trailer for me since she was thirteen. With the trailer empty later today we will be going down to the Carpet&Pad store to get carpet for the theater and tomorrow down to Big Earl’s to buy a twenty-seven inch snow thrower. Little bigger then I want but Big Earl gave me a good price and of course it is his last one in stock. Not having a snow thrower for the past three years and now buying a new one is almost a certain guarantee that we will get hardly any snow this winter.

I think the old red Dodge might have had its last ride. Dug replaced the brake line that had split but then told me I needed front brakes, calipers and rotors. Don’t know if I want to spend the money on it as anything I need to haul in the Dodge I can haul in the trailer. The Dodge might have heard me talking about it as I went to move it to a more permanent parking place and the battery was dead, on closer inspection somehow the brake switch on the pedal had come off and I am guessing the Dodge sat there with it’s brake lights on trying to get my attention and I ignored it. When the battery went dead the Dodge just sat there, alone. For now I moved it to the side after I had the wife jump it. The wife when loading the trailer for the dump took scrap metal and tossed it in the Dodge’s box, so the Dodge does kind of still have a job to do as a storage container. The wife is hinting she will just keep throwing scrap in it till it is full and then have Dug haul the scrap and the Dodge to the scrape yard in one load. I hope the Dodge was not listening.

I did have hare stew this week. I was looking out the deck window and I saw a hare in the garden. I felt a little sorry for the hare as he or she was all white in a brown world. Hare stuck out so bad that it was easy to find after I went to the gun cabinet and got out the little Glenfield .22 I slid the scope on and dropped a few .22 shells down the tube. Made it out to the railing on the deck and leaned up against it. The hare was hiding behind a garden post. His head was out of sight so I am sure he was thinking if he can’t see me then I can’t see him. Dropped the cross hairs on his shoulder and touched off a shot, Hare down and I was already thinking stew when another one hopped at the wrong time and a second shot meant there would be seconds in the stew pot. Told the wife and she went out to the garden and brought the hares in. Showed Duncan who was impressed with the rabbits I shot, I then had to explain to him the difference between a rabbit and a Hare here at Lake Iwanttobethere.

PRETTY QUIET DAY here yesterday, no football that I wanted to watch but there was a late hockey game on the TV at the Lodge. The wife gave me a ride into town even though I told her I thought it was about time for me to give driving a shot. She just gave me a long look over the top of her glasses and said no. Over night about two inches of snow fell which is just enough to plow parking lots and driveways. We pulled into the Gas-N-Go to top off the Tahoe’s gas tank and the wife wanted one of them fancy coffies from inside. A couple of guys were talking and leaning up aganist their plow trucks, water was dripping off the blades and smiles on their faces reflected their would be money for christmas presents this year.

Jackson with his dog riding shotgun pulled up to the pump and seeing me in the Tahoe he walked back to chat some. We exchanged HIYA’S and he told me about how he and his dog have been having a banner year on grouse now that all the deer hunters are out of the woods. No deep snow has made hunting easy and the mild tempatures have been perfect for the dog and him. He asked if I have been out and told him my problems this last fall and he wished me good luck and a better fishing season. The wife came out and went to Jackson’s truck and petted his dog and then came to the Tahoe and gave Jackson some greif. We pulled out and the wife commemented that Jackson has a pretty dog. I took the chance to say that maybe we should think about getting a pup, after all Duncan will be six in a few months. The wife was quiet for awhile then I heard her say "You start walking better and we will talk about it" I didn’t say anything, I think I am slowly working her down.

Arrived at the Lodge and the wife helped me out, I made my way inside just using the walker but the wife pushed the wheelchair in and told me just in case I needed it. I got in and told Gus to take the day off and he told me he was already going to do it anyway. He left and I tied on an apron and sat down behind the bar with the TV remote in my hand. Watched the last quarter of the game that featured the team from across Lake Iwanttobethere then grabbed a pitcher of Hamms and sat down with the old guys by the fireplace. Right off one of the old guys asked me if I was still writing and I told him yes. He then asked if I was going to write about anything he said and I replied if it is worth writing about I will. He then said I could not use his name because he didn’t want it to get out that he had hundreds of dollars in the bank and owned a cabin and a house. He didn’t want any of them young fillies thinking they could take advantage of him and his brother. I agreed since the two of these guys had Elmer and DOC beat by maybe twenty-five years or so.

I filled up their glasses and my own and then leaned back to listen to them talk about Lake Iwanttobethere in the "Old Days" I found out long ago that a little Hamms losses up the lips and it was not to long before they were interrupting each other to tell me fishing stories and about lost lakes and secret creeks. They talked of the saw mills and the loads of old growth trees that went out on the rail. Saloon stories that I had to swear never to repeat even though the saloons have been gone for sixty years. I had to get up and feed the fireplace and a couple of guys were at the bar. I gave them a basket of popcorn and told them thanks for waiting. One asked what the deep conversation was about and I just told them, Lake Iwanttobethere

I thought I posted this, O well here it is a few days late.

BUSY, BUSY WEEK here at the cabin tucked away on Hidden Bay. Have been feeling pretty good as of late which means I over do it and then find myself in bed for a day trying to recover. This past week we went down to Carpet & Pad and bought carpet for the Theater here at the cabin. We rolled it out and let it rest for a day and then I taught the youngest daughter how to install carpet. We still have to put the trim back up and hid the wires for the surround sound before we are official all done with the project.

I talked with my son in law who is or was looking for a snow thrower and he came over and borrowed a trailer and went down to Big Earl’s and bought the "Last snow thrower" in stock for me and then mention to Big Earl that he to was looking for the very same size and make snow thrower. Funny how Big Earl just happen to find another snow thrower in the warehouse and with a telephone call from me the son in law got the same snow thrower at the same clearance price as I did. I drove by the General Store yesterday and yet a third snow thrower now sits out in front of the store with the yellow tag declaring IT as "The Very Last One"

Duncan hearing Mark the mailman ran out the deck door this morning to return in his mouth with Christmas Cards and Hospital bills, tis that time of the season. The wife traded a bone for the mail and dropped the pile on my desk to be sorted. Bills went to the back to be paid next month, extra money this month will be used for grand kids Christmas presents not hospital bills. Lodge has been very busy. Hammering Hank and Skinny went tree hunting and not only did they drop a tree off for me here at the cabin but one over at Chuck’s house to. My tree looks better as Chuck’s tree looks a little like a Charlie Brown kind of tree. The biggest and best tree went down to the Lodge and I imagine by this time of the day Tess, Hank’s wife and the Ladies Auxiliary should have the Lodge and the tree decorate.

When I mention the Lodge is busy this week I have an announcement to make. As part of the Lodge expansion we have installed a pizza oven and have come to an agreement with Del’s Pizza and Sub Shop. We will be able to get our cheese, meat and dough from Del. We will carry a sign with his Shop name inside the Lodge and feature his pizza’s. We will also be able to name and make a few of our own special pizza’s. No deliveries will be made from the Lodge with the Pizza cannon as we are high above the lake but this will make an excellent place for drone deliveries later this summer. Look for more news about this later. Right now I think we have fed the FELLOWS more slices of free sample pieces then they have ever had. Also beer sales are up this week as are the FELLOWS tabs.

I was also at KCUM radio this week as I made a few PSA ( Public Service Announcements) for our annual Lawnmower collection drive. We have noticed that in the big city the past few years they have been having these bike drives where they collect new bikes to be give away to kids at Christmas. Well they stole the idea from us here at the Lodge because for years we have been collecting gently used lawnmowers, mower blades, spark plugs and oil to be handed out to local kids at Christmas. The kids can then assemble the mowers and use them to make money in the summer where they can then buy their own bikes, Nothing free here at Lake Iwanttobethere.

IT’S 1 BELOW, in the boat… A few weeks ago I bought a remote thermometer. The receiver rests on my desk and I put the transmitter under the tarp covering the rear casting platform of the Puddle Humper. When my grandson comes over he likes to tell me the temperature in THE BOAT So for awhile I will be starting my stories with the temperature IN THE BOAT.

Following up on Christmas trees the Lodge is all decorated as is the cabin. Vic has yet to decorate the Resort because he wants to go out and harvest his tree from the grounds. In town we have maybe four inches of snow on the ground, at the cabin we have six inches but at the resort there is a good eighteen inches of the fluffy white stuff. The longer Vic waits the deeper the snow gets. Hammering Hank offered to go get a tree after catching Vic eyeing up the balsam outside of cabin number three.

My new snow thrower is resting in the shop, still in its box. I told the daughter today she can slide it into the cabin and give it a day to thaw out before putting it together. Way too cold to be fooling around with frozen mental when you don’t have to. On the other hand the son in law has assembled his new thrower but went out and shoveled by hand his two hundred and seventy-five feet of sidewalk because he thought it was fun and he forgot he now owns a snow thrower and that is what snow throwers are for, anywhere from two inches or two feet of snow.

The wife had to run into town, she needed to go to the General Store for more Christmas lights. I went along for the ride. We parked out front and I stayed in the Tahoe very comfortable on the passenger heated seat which is much warmer then the driver’s seat. Right off I noticed a new display out front on the sidewalk, not one but two old fashion white bathtubs sitting side by side. I didn’t see anything inside them so I rolled down the window and waved Big Earl over. Earl came over with broom in hand and his bomber cap pulled down tight on his forehead. I asked about the matching bath tubs and he told me he keeps seeing commercials on his satellite dish and the tubs are on all the time, he figures they must be the new cutting edge of adverting so he bought a pair I just nodded my head and rolled the window up on the cold..

Now that winter has arrived my new job is to keep the fireplace full of wood, watch Wild hockey games, I think I have seen everyone this season and also keep and eye on the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere as it freezes over. I am also trying to either walk some around the cabin or lift some weights every hour trying to build up some strength. Two months ago I could not pick up the number three granddaughter who weighs thirty pounds, now I can. Goal is to lift number two who weighs ninety, does not sound like much but here they weigh sixteen ounces to a pound. Of course this is Lake Iwanttobethere

IT’S 1 ABOVE, in the boat… There is no doubt, winter is here at Lake Iwanttobethere. This morning as I ate my bacon and eggs I listen to Stormy Clearweather on KCUM radio as she reported the over night lows on the towns around Lake Iwanttobethere. End of the Line and Charter tied at minis fifteen and a unofficial low of minis sixteen was reported at the Christmas tree stand out on the highway that leads into Lake Iwanttobethere. Both the hockey rink and the skating ring have ice as Hammering Hank and Skinny have been flooding in shifts. I even heard of a few fishermen venturing out on to the lake ice but they are dragging boats with just in case.

Duncan’s potty breaks are short. The wife stands at the back door and keeps an eye on him. As soon as he starts lifting his paws off the ground because they are cold she calls him in but first he has to run up to the wood pile and grab a chunk of split maple for the cabin fire. Number two grandson, the ten year old has been here after school every day this week. He is helping putting the theater back together after we replaced the carpet. Last night the floor base trim was nailed in and it goes in so much quicker when it is already cut to length. Plastic went up on the big windows and the oversized black velvet drape was hung. Tonight we will bring in the stand for the surround sound amp and all the other receivers for the dvd player and computer access. Speaker wires need to be hidden and wires plugged into the projector and then a test session. If everything goes good I might be able to watch the Wild play hockey on my ninety-six inch screen tonight.

We had cold pizza last night for supper as we are still experimenting with the Lodge’s new oven. I forget how cold the new fridge gets at the cabin as I had a mouthful of pizza and took a big gulp of pop. Just about froze my tongue it was so cold. Am really looking forward to that first really hot day of summer and a cold Hamms from the new fridge. Just me and the youngest daughter home this afternoon. The oldest daughter picked up her ma and they went to the school’s Christmas program. No sooner was the wife gone and the daughter cranked up the tunes in her room and I cranked up Grand Funk Railroad in the den to drown out what ever she was playing. I would have gone to the school thing but I have a meeting here and it is kind of cold to be sitting in the wheelchair.

Some snow in the forecast and I think the daughter may have to put the new snow thrower together. Then it is going to get real cold out, minus twenty and then some. Duncan is going to have to make a few extra trips to the wood pile I think. Some of us will call that to cold but a number of ice fishermen will welcome the ice making weather. We were thinking of having the Ice House fling two weekends from now but it would conflict with Christmas so I think the plan will be to keep an eye on ice thickness on the lake The giant bungee cord will be made available Christmas afternoon if anyone wants to get their shanty flung out on the lake. The fling prizes will be added into next years first fishing contest on New Years Day . Gee Talking about New Years, this winter is already flying by. Just a reminder there will be Christmas eve dinner at the Lodge and don’t forget our gala New Years Eve get together. Lodge members will be exchanging gifts on the twenty-third this year so if you have not done so already you can pick your secret card from the Lodges Christmas tree. Have a good day, I need to send Duncan out for another piece of maple here at Lake Iwanttobethere

FOUR ABOVE, IN THE BOAT. Four might be the warmest it gets here for a few days. The so called snow storm left maybe an inch of snow on the ground here. The wife went out of her way to point out that we had no need for the snow thrower that is still in the box in the tool shop. I just nodded my head and made a wish for nice twelve inch snow to dump on us here soon. Now for cold weather that is here and I a not looking forward to tonight and minus twenty or more. Duncan has been busy hauling wood but the grandson was over last night and he filled the rack for us so we are good to go. My job has been to sit in front of the fireplace and keep it hot, I have been using my toes and the ice in my glass as a way of measuring.

Yesterday the wife went to the big city to check on her mother, about a week ago while sweeping snow on the porch she slipped and fell. The good news was someone found her and the bad news was she broke her pelvis. Christmas is up in the air as the mother in law host a big dinner. About fifty grand kids and their parents would show up. Now we are seeing if someone else in the family will host. The mother in law is now in the same nursing home that I was for rehab. I sat in the Tahoe on the heated seat and waved at her through her window and talked on the phone for awhile. Then we went to town and I sat while the wife did errands.

The two street lights we have are both in garland and lights and look good. Nice to see all the store fronts decorated with lights and hand painted Christmas scenes The daughter who does the painting out did herself this year. The lake has been making some serious ice the past few days and more fishermen are venturing out on the lake. Some have even made it out as far as Root Beer Island in search of crappies. The wife left me off at the Lodge as she wanted to do some Christmas shopping and did not want me tagging along. Lodge was warm and I did have to check my messages and pick a card from the tree for our present exchange. Duncan came along for the ride so he went with me. He made a quick trip around the main room collecting ear rubs before laying down in front of the fire and going fast sleep. I wish I could fall asleep as fast as dogs do.

I sat on my stool behind the bar and open my gift exchange card, I drew Elmer just great. The guy has everything and I only have a few days to come up with something. I sat at the bar pondering a gift when I got an idea. I will give him a sucker card down at Masterbaiters. He can use it to get suckers to fish off his dock and I will just borrow his suckers like I have been doing in the past. The upside is I have a Christmas gift for him, the down side is I will be using suckers that I have paid for this summer here at Lake Iwanttobethere.

21 ABOVE, IN THE BOAT. That sounds a lot better then the 21 below in the boat that it was yesterday morning. I woke up like a bear yesterday halfway through winter. Duncan was in bed with me and he just licked my face. Normally the wife would be the one who let him out first thing in the morning but somehow he had buried herself in quilts so Duncan could not get to her. I sat up in bed and put my feet into the fake fur but yet still old warm slippers and using the walker I made my way to the back door. I open the inside door and then the storm door and Duncan ran past me. The storm door slammed closed in my face as the door closers were set for mid summer not mid winter. I thought about adjusting them when Duncan jumped up on the storm door all ready done and ready to come back in.

I held the door open a little longer then I wanted to and a blast of frigid winter air rushed the cabin. I could feel the hair of my beard freeze and my beard trying to retreat back into my face. The door slammed closed and I leaned into the inside door and felt my beard pop back out. I turned to watch Duncan on the couch as he tried to make a sleeping nest with the pillow and big quilt that was there. I made my way into the den and looked at the outside thermometer sitting on the shelf above my desk. Twenty-one below in the boat, the coldest so far this winter. I made my way into the living room and heard the sound of the furnace firing off. Just as I thought I got into the living room and there was just a few red eyes of fire looking back at me in the fireplace.

I took out the poker and stirred at the coals and the red eyes got a little brighter. I put down three chunks of birch then two chunks of maple going the other way. By the time I kicked off my slippers and got under the quilt on the couch smoke was working its way around the wood chunks and with a pillow under my head flame started to lick at the birch and reached up at the maple chunks. Duncan was not giving up his spot on the couch till he figured I was warmer then the quilt. He moved closer and with a heavy sigh he closed his eyes and was asleep just like that. I was thinking of Dotch who also writes on here and how he starts his stories with a song title or some lyrics, If he was writing today the perfect song would be Dean Martins " Baby its cold outside" and with out dating myself I played the song back in my head as I adjusted the heavy quilt on the couch and wished I had one of them heavy Buffalo robes of old.

Woke up with sunshine pouring through the window. Duncan was gone as the wife was up baking in the kitchen. Phone rang and the wife was talking on the phone as she headed my way. She handed me the phone and told me it was Vic. I started bragging about it being twenty-one below in the boat till Vic told me it was minis twenty-seven at the RESORT. I asked if he had been out and he told me I was crazy, you don’t get to his age by going out in twenty-seven below when you don’t have to. Good advice I think coming from an old guy here at Lake Iwanttobethere

28 ABOVE, IN THE BOAT Woke up late this morning, daughter and I have been binge watching Game of Thrones and two disks came in yesterday. Duncan has to open his mouth a little wider to carry the disks up to the cabin when Mark the mailman gives them to him. I think Duncan has been working out some. I have seen him several times running around the cabin with a rather large stuffed horse that one of the granddaughter’s left. He does good till he steps on a leg and it pulls his head down and he has to stop or if he is really running hard he will roll right over the horse and pop up with that look on his face that says he meant to do that.

Was expecting to see some fresh snow on the ground but instead it is sunny out and hard to see the keyboard. Of course as soon as I write the pervious line the sun is gone and clouds have covered the sky. I rolled back from the keyboard so I could get in the way of the heat coming off the space heater. I look out the windows facing the lake and nothing is happening but if I look out the windows on the other side of the room I can see a few snow flakes falling. What are the odds that my cabin sits right in the middle. Of course this is Lake iwanttobethere so of course it can happen.

Cabin was quiet yesterday, wife had to finish up shopping for the mother in law, her mother and still has to go out again today. The wife came home last night and told me how it is not fun buying for fifty-one grand kids and then have to wrap presents under the critical eye of her mother I will be down at the Lodge this evening working kind of, well sort of, I mean I will be behind the bar chatting and maybe pouring a little. Our new shirts came in and if you stop by the Lodge you will see that staff is wearing red shirts with our names on the back.

Shirts were Gus’s idea so I can’t claim any credit. Christmas gathering here at the Lodge in a few days and present exchange. I did get Elmer a punch card good for fifty suckers down at the Masterbaiters bait shop here in town. I figure that during the course of a summer that is about how many suckers I borrow from Elmers minnow bucket to toss off my dock. Of course I have been doing this for years so maybe I should buy my own for one summer. Somehow I have managed to have all my shopping done before the wife this year. Matter of fact yesterday we got the new snow thrower out of the box and put it together. Thing started on the second pull and we did not even use the electric start, but now that I think of it we should have tried that out to.

Sunshine Ray is forecasting snow for Christmas Day. Others have grabbed onto the forecast and are predicting we will get anywhere from two inches to two feet. Of course just a light snow would make the Christmas look perfect but the snowmobiles would like us to get dumped on as would the guys with plows. At the Lodge a nice snow fall would let us get the Luge run built but a dusting would be better for those who want to launch their shanties from the hill out on to the frozen waters of Lake Iwanttobethere

PS- the snow has stopped and sunshine is once again coming through the windows here in the den at Lake Iwanttobethere

32 IN THE BOAT, my fingers are sore tonight, spent the afternoon wrapping presents. Cabin smells good as the wife has been baking pies and making cookies. Duncan has not left the kitchen other then to go outside to do his thing. UPS stopped on by with perfect timing for a few things I had ordered and was worried if they were going to make it on time. Grand kids will be getting spoiled but that was by plan and even the wife is going to get a few things although we promised not to buy each other anything.

Yesterday I went to the Lodge, Chuck came over and gave both me and Elmer a ride in. With the wife not looking I hauled a box of wallpaper into the back of Chuck’s truck. The wife goes to rummage sales during the summer and buys the stuff. I bring it to the Lodge and we use it as Christmas wrap. This way the wife gets no ideas about using the wallpaper and we get a couple of free drinks from guys who forget to wrap their exchange gifts. The FELLOWS already had the big round table so we took over the big long table. I am always surprised at how many guys can’t wrap a present with some tape on their fingers.

Lodge member’s came and went and we did a brisk business of wrapping presents and giving late gift ideas. Can’t go wrong with a Lodge gift card or a hike down the hill to visit Vicki and buy something from the Masterbaiters bait shop. Snow was in the forecast but nothing has fallen. To warm out but come Christmas Eve they say that will change. Last year we had a couple of feet of snow on the ground and instead of the quiet we would have been listening to kids on the Luge run and a lot of screaming and hollering. The ice is soft on the rink below but still good enough that a broom ball game broke out. Looking out from the Main Room windows you can see Christmas lights on shanties. Directly below no one has parked there shanties as the ice house fling will go on as planned on Christmas afternoon. No one wants to be smacked by a house coming down the hill being flung out onto the ice by the big state fair bungee.

Mini donut trailer and the hot pretzel cart are in the parking lot. I don’t know if Old McDonnell with be doing sleigh rides but I would guess he will do hay wagon rides instead. So Friday night will be the Lodge get together and gift exchange. Saturday night will be the Lodge dinner for those who have no where else to go. Football will of course be on TV all day saturday. Sunday will be Christmas and supper is free at the Lodge. I will be having Christmas at the cabin on Saturday night and me and the tenners will be going fishing that night. On Christmas Day I will be at the nursing home where the mother in law is, I will be playing Santa and giving out presents along with the wife. It will be quiet here for the next few days but I wish you all a Merry Christmas from all of us here at Lake Iwanttobethere

34 IN THE BOAT. Psst I overheard the wife talking on the phone just now when she thought I was asleep I did not hear all the conversation but I did hear that it is white, it is a male and it is ten. Could I be getting white lab puppy for Christmas here at Lake Iwanttobethere?

It was still the night before Christmas

And I was out on the ice

I was in my new sled being pushed and pulled

By the ten year old grand kids this night

A short trip we were making

Just to the shantie parked out on the lake ice

We arrived before midnight and turned on the lights

I started a fire and the kids chipped at the new ice

Minnows were lower into dark holes

And the kids sat on buckets but I sat on the old throne

Nothing was biting so the kids hit the beds

And soon were asleep with sleeping bags tight under there necks

I tended the fire with sticks of birch

Then added some oak for a long nights burn

About one I was waken by a reel making noise

And a pulled up a fat walleye out of the hole

Six months ago or six months from now

That walleye would have found its way to the pan

But it was Christmas now

So back in the hole he or she went back again

And I settled back in my chair with a smile

And thought of adding some wood to the fire

As I listen to the grandson snoring

And Lake Iwanttobethere

Making ice and cracking under foot

Enjoying a night that some said I would never see again

PS No Christmas dinner at the sister in laws house

We are in the middle of a nice winter ice storm

So dinner will be tomorrow night instead

No white puppy as of yet but I heard some guy

Named Dennis mentioned.

A breeder perhaps?

13 IN THE BOAT, yesterday evening we drove to the sister in laws house where we were having our belated Christmas dinner. The mother in law is in the nursing home with her busted pelvis so that means dinner had to be moved. We then had a ice storm which kept people home till last night. I was riding as a passenger in the Tahoe with the wife driving. I can’t get in the Jeep, it is too small for me. When I am forced to ride in the Jeep I have to put my chin on my chest and bring my knees up to my head and then slide in. If we hit a bump I hit my head on the ceiling. The Tahoe has way more room for me so I am the passenger, I have sunglasses on not because it is bright out but to cover my closed eyes from the wife who is driving with no radio on and has both hands tight knuckled to the steering wheel.

For someone who was raised in Fish County with all our hills you think she would be driving with one hand, but not tonight and not in my Tahoe. Best that I not see how she is driving that is why I have the sunglasses on. I would not be going to dinner but I hear there is a big present waiting for me and I try to relax in my seat thinking up male puppy names Max, Rufus come to mind, bad dog names I am thinking. So much easier to come up with female names, Penny or Lady or Holly I almost open my eyes as I feel the back end of the Tahoe break lose and the wife make a little girl noise.

I get helped inside and my wheelchair is brought in. Don’t have to look for a seat this way, I brought my own. Took a spot at the head of the table, plenty of arm room and I sat back and listen to all the conversations going on around me. Learned a few things I didn’t want to and listen in on a few things I wanted to learn more about. With the mother in law not in attendance alcohol was flowing the same time the pie and cool whip made an appearance. Kids were getting antsy so everyone moved to the living room and kids started tearing into presents.

Adults exchanged their gifts till all that was left was me. It seems everyone was in on my Christmas present but me. My two sons come out of the dining room carrying a cardboard box with a bunch of holes in it. They set the box down at me feet and everyone is watching me. I try and act like I am going to be surprised to find the ten week old white lab that I know is in the box. I lift the lid and see eyes looking back at me, I am surprised. Looking back at me is a white, ten year old parrot!! My granddaughter steps forward and says to me. Grandpa, meet Dennis........ Here at Lake Iwanttobethere