• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On board chargers.

dfv87

Question

Bought a 2 bank on board charger for my boat...(minnekota)
#1 where does evrybody like to mount the charger? 1600 Pro Sport Lund (walk thru windsheild)
#2 what is the best way to deal with the 6' of cord only? they suggest "terminal connections" to extend. [PoorWordUsage] does that mean?

4 answers to this question

A buddy of mine installed his and told me about it, so if you find better info, ignore mine as it is second hand.

The post before addresses location. His complaint was the same as yours, only 6 feet of wiring. And the warranty was voided if you cut off the electrical connectors at the end of the wire, or what I think they mean by terminal hookups.

What he did was buy two electrical connectors with O style end, in a size that matched his wire. These are available at electical supply, boating stores, dealerships, and Home Depo type stores. Get marine grade or stainless steel.

Then he clamped one to each end of his additional wire piece,(match wire gauge to original Minnkota wiring) and added some waterproofing product to protect the exposed ends of the wiring and some electrical tape to waterproof the connections.

Overlap the O terminal connections of the bank charger and your patch wire. Then take a real short, fat bolt and screw and put it in the end of the overlapped O connections. Tighten the screw and waterproof by covering the connection with electrical tape over the top.

Test and if it works, put alot more electrical tape over this connection.

Hope I did not give too much detail. Good Luck.

dfv,
I just bought a boat that has 2 onboard charges mounted in it. It's a ProV 1890 the guy actually added an addition storage space (factory/dealer installed) in the rear of the boat in front of the live well. He put an top access door and mounted one of the chargers there, the second one is located between the dual consoles where the floor rises in the battery storage area, they seem to work fine there.

Ole

I just mounted my mk220 2 bank charger. I had to extend my cable to reach the rear battery. I went to Home depot and bought some 14 gauge waterproof insulated wire and it seems to work excellent. I just cut off the old ends and spliced right into it. As far as mounting they recommend to mount it vertically with breathing room on each side. Good Luck