• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Boat

JiggingSpoon

Question

Hey all,
We just found out that our motot is going out and it would make most sense to buy a new boat since the motor is a 94 ad the boat is a 89, so we are going to get a new one, we were looking for the 17.5 foot range boat that would be easy to fish out of, but also enough seats for a weekend cruise on the lake with my new 3 month old niece, wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for this, outboard and dual console, thanks
JS

9 answers to this question

I bought a Lund 1700 Fisherman with a 115 Yamaha a year ago and couldn't be happier. The only thing I would do differently is put a bigger trolling motor on. It came with a Minnkota with 55 pounds of thrust and I would go a bit more for the real windy days. I added a Co-Pilot last summer and love it.

Are you mainly gonna be using this boat for fishing or cruising? The fisherman and the pro sport have full windshields which is nice to protect you while cruising for a scenic ride, if it starts raining so the rain is not pelting you in the face on the way back to shore or if fishing in real cold temps and have to travel a long ways across a lake or down a river. How much do you want to spend, big water mostly? I have a pro-v with windshield on driver side and my fishin buddy says I should have gotten a dual console but it don't effect me lol!! The boats with full windshields are harder to control while trolling in heavy wind but other ways they are very nice to have, you can also put a canvas top set on them which is not too bad on alot of days to have. All of the boats are fisherman friendly but I think the lunds have more to offer in their boats, the price is a little more but you get that back when you sell it again because of the resale value, but their are other windshield boats out there that are nice, Alumacraft and crestliner both have nice windshield boats also and I have fished out of both of them. Trophy 185 and I think the boat my other buddy has is a crestliner sportfish? well anyway it is 18' and he has a 150hp aaahhh what is it again....oh yea a mercury and that thing humms along at about 50 mph but it is a little choppy, but a nice boat.

will mostly be using this boat for fishing, we usually only get out with the family cruising about 4-5 times a year, otherwise if we cruise it is just me and my buds on tonka checkin out the scenery, and for that a fishin boat is just fine,
thanks so far,
JS

Hiya,
Check out Tracker's Targa 17 Sport - 3 across seating in the back that converts to fishing chairs, full windshield, lots of storage, swing-away tongue on the trailer, etc. Hull is great - good riding deep-V. With a 115 4-stroke they run in the $18k neighborhood. Lot of bang for the buck, and a good combo boat for fishing + cruising.

Cheers,
RK

If you do look at trackers, you may want to check out dolans on 94 in Woodbury. They are a scratch and dent dealer, but can't advertize it. You can get some great deals there if you don't mind a little flaw in the paint. You'll have the same flaw in 3 wks anyway, and can save a couple grand this way. Look for the owner, very knowledgeable guy... He'll talk your leg off, and then naw on your prosthetic... smile.gif

G.

Of course, don't accept that whatever you take home from the dealer is what you'll be stuck with. There's no such thing as the perfect boat. Buy the boat that is closest to matching your needs, but if there are still some things that you want changed to make it more suitable for you, I might know somebody who can help you out with that. ( Shameless, pathetic plug for business ) grin.gif Just click on the link below for more info.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

Hiya,
Good point on the Tundras Trailblazin - should have mentioned it too, since I bought an 18DC myself grin.gif An 18 Tundra with either dual consoles or a full windshield would be pretty slick as a combo fish/play boat. Nice deep cockpit for cruising, a real functional fishing layout - baitwells and the whole bit, big rod lockers, which is something most fish/ski boats fall far short on, and an obscene amount of storage. Plus the ride's outstanding.

If you're in or near the cities, Bethel Marine has all kinds of Trackers in stock so you can go crawl around in them and check them out. Ask for Ross Nichols, the sales manager. Super guy...

Cheers,
RK