• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Otter Wilderness Series

jig n' jerk

I have not been able to find a Otter wilderness Series Pike Edition Ice house set up anywhere around the metro including the new Cabelas. If anyone has seen it can they please share where they saw it, and the price, if you can remember. Thanks!!!!

If I were convinced that Otter's Wilderness Series Walleye house was everything I'm looking for in the Otter Medium Cabin, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I've got a couple of reservations, tho:

1) The tent material is listed on Otter's site as "600 denier polyester." How does this compare to the material used on main line of Otters? Cheaper, to be sure, but I'm wondering specifically... how does it act in the cold? does it rip or wear a lot easier? it there noticeable heat lost difference? (The only thing I'm convinced is better on the Wilderness series is the black color.)

2) The sled design looks different on thir web site. Folks are saying it's not as heavy (not as durable), but I'm more concerned with the shape of the top lip. If I'm not mistaken, the way the lip angles swoop down so severely, it looks like 2 chairs would need to be set awfully close together. Or are the 2 sleds the same shape and the pictures are misleading?

Gotta admit, the price difference makes the Wilderness series pretty tempting...

Schweady, next time you are in Fergus Falls you can see at least one Wilderness house on display. I believe it's the Walleye. I suspect more houses will hit the floor once deer season comes to a close soon.

I looked at the house and it is darn nice! The sled looked like the Otter Pro Series sled, just some modifications like less depth, length. etc.. The fabric looked great and heavy duty. I wouldn't pass up that option one bit if you wanted to jump into a loaded package for a great price.

I don't have one personally but have looked at them quite a bit for a little input that may help.

The shelter material is thinner, lightweight and less expensive. The polyester is what the Otter sled covers are made of, I believe. I don't run my heater on high anyhow with the Pro Series canvas shelter so, if my objective was to be lighter, if I had to turn the heat up more for the less heavy shelter, that's what I'd do.

The sleds are different looking but look to offer the same seating spacing (flat section of lip). I haven't measured each to confirm. The Wilderness may be designed for the seats that come with the package as well and not individual chairs like you may be talking about.

Quote:

I think that we should go and check them out. I see that they are on sale in the latest Fleet Farm add. Maybe it would be something that is a real good value!

BPW:

Just might need to call spencer and tell him we leave for Fergus at 4:30...

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, the way the lip angles swoop down so severely, it looks like 2 chairs would need to be set awfully close together. Or are the 2 sleds the same shape and the pictures are misleading?

I am with you on the sled design. I sat in one the other night at Fleet in Fargo and it looks like one guy will have to fish looking at the side of the shelter because the other guy will be right next to him. Maybe the Pike is a little bigger so this wouldn't be an issue. The price is great though and the material looks very nice to me, almost seems better than the Pro Series confused.gif

Quote:

I am with you on the sled design. I sat in one the other night at Fleet in Fargo and it looks like one guy will have to fish looking at the side of the shelter because the other guy will be right next to him. Maybe the Pike is a little bigger so this wouldn't be an issue.

The Wilderness Walleye is the exact dimensions as the Pro Medium Cabin, pretty much the max size I can haul right now. I'm hoping that the Cabin's sled design allows the chairs to be set farther apart, for exactly the point you're making. I might get to the Fergus Fleet tomorrow night. Just wish there was a Cabin there too to it to compare, but SHEESH! the Walleye's a LOT less $$$.

Are there any issues with flammability of polyester vs the cotton canvas of the regular otter tents? It's usually frowned upon in the camping and hiking world to have a significant heat source in man made fabric tents. Maybe there is a special coating? I didn't see any notice on the inside of the tent when I was sitting in it at the Fleet display. Though that may be explained by the low light level in a black tent with the windows covered. Anyway, just curious.

Quote:

Are there any issues with flammability of polyester vs the cotton canvas of the regular otter tents?

The material is fire retardant. It is a 600 denier polyester, which is the same as the sled covers.