• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9 hp Merc motor wont cycle water

perchman

Question

anyone know what the usual cause is for this. Ran the motor last fall and water would not get cycled.. i just ordered a manual, but before i get it would like some clues..
perchman.

8 answers to this question

it is also possible that the line is plugged. try taking a small pc of wire and try to clean it out. or, take the hose loose and see if you have water . if not then have the pump checked out. mine used to get plugged quite often. del

I have a 9.8 relic as well. I've had the hose plug and cleaned it in the past. However, mine is due for an impeller. They dry out and break down over the years and need replacing.

Need to drop the lower unit to get at it if this is the case. It's on the shaft.

I have a 15hp that does the same thing on occation. Try blowing thru the water flow indicator tube with a compressor. If that does not get the water flowing, you probably need a new impeller.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

It sounds like all the above answers covered it.I would add that the water pump on my merc 40 was easy to change.I picked up a shop manual and just tore into it.The hardest part was re-allining the lower to the upper units.The gear shift shaft and water tubes can be tricky with out an extra hand.But if I can do it I am sure any one with any mechanical skill at all can do the same.
I usually have all my service work done for me, but that time I didn't have two weeks to wait so I had no choice.
Good thing, it saved me over $150 in labor.

Benny

My 60 Mercury's tell tail last year started to have not as much flow as it used to. I took the compressor and blew back in the tell tail and it after a couple of times it cleared up the problem. Then last fall while coming back from moose hunting with the 9.9 we got into some major loon s--t and the tell tail stopped completly. We were at least 6 hrs from the vehicles so simply blew back and sucked (not nice) into the tell tail this took about a half hour but eventually it started to send water through. If your tell tail isn't working your motor WILL heat up and you will have a major repair bill. I usually change the impellar about every 4 or 5 years as they are cheap compared to burning up a motor.