• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor prep

smallies24

Question

My dad has an older motor and he never winterized it. What would you recommend doing before running it? Should I just use sea foam or something like that. I just don't want to start it up and not take care of any problems that could be prevented. Thanks

4 answers to this question

If it was me I would first check the lower unit lube.Just take out the lower screw and let some drip in a clean bucket and make sure the oil looks clean.If it is milky looking you have a problem if it is clean you can put the screw back in or change oil.It is a good idea to replace oil once a year.Then I would pull the plugs and spray with fogging oil and turn it over a couple of times to lube the cylinders.Then put plugs back in or replace with new ones.Putting some seafoam in the tank would also be a good idea.Then put the water to it and give it a try.

Seafoam: Where does one get that stuff, I heard Uall talking about it before and checked up in Manitoba but nobody has ever heard of it. I am heading down to Grand Forks on the 16th for a look see at Cabelas for whatever but wouldn't mind having some of that Seafoam.