• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Speed Hitch

chart1444

Question

I have some trouble, when I hook up my boat to the car.

My son, suggested something called a Speed Hitch, they are in the Cabelas catalog, but cost $99.99.

Does anybody have one of these hitches, how do you like it and is it worth the money.

7 answers to this question

Not to be smart but they put mirrors on trucks for a reason. Get center on the boat and back straight. Every year at landing I see people that for get they have the mirrors. I always see people with window down or door open maybe I just don't understand others.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

I think where he has trouble is backing up the car close enough to hitch the trailer to the ball on the car. I've heard of the speed hitch but haven't seen it work. My trailer has a wheel on it and it I get within a foot I can roll it to the ball.

I've had a Speed Hitch for a number of years now. Works great especially when loading a heavy rig while alone. All you need to do is get close.
The hitch rig will be longer and thus the ball will be further away from your vehicle. Thus, you will need longer safety chains from the trailer to the vehicle.

I've really got to ask and wonder why?

I just bought a pontoon boat to pull behind my dakota pickup. All you have to do is backup with your rearview mirror till your close and then jump out and look. Get back in and watch the ground for that amount of distance to go by and then get out and hook up. Takes NO time at all. Just have a jack for the front end of the boat that has a wheel so you can move the front a tad.

Starting out from having the pickup 10 foot in front of the boat I can be cranking up the jack in less than 1-2 minutes. Is it really worth it to spend 100 bucks to shave 30 secs or so off?

Not for me. Its not that hard.

Try using your boat winch and cable to winch you boat trailer to your vehicle. Unhook the cable from you boat and route it under a cross member on the trailer to the safety chain hook on your hitch. The just crank you trailer to the vehicle. It's the best speed hitch I've found. Remember of rehook your winch back to the boat.
Laclavon.