• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing Y-Bones?

Chris-Neises

Question

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me how the "Y-Bones" can be removed. I like to fillet fish, but I haven't really tried northerns because of these bones. I have heard that these fish are really tasty and easy to eat if the bones are removed. Any help would be much appreciated.

7 answers to this question

There is another post on this subject:

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000117.html

You can also do an internet search, as there are a number of sites that explain it - and include photos and diagrams.

If you fillet the fish normally, after you fry it up, you can see the bone line on the fillet pretty easily - and just peel the meat right off the bones right on your plate.

And you're right...they make very tasty table fare. It's like other fish, though...if they are too big, they aren't as good. In my opinion, they go downhill when they get over 26" or so. Around 21-23" is about right.

[This message has been edited by Jarrod32 (edited 04-04-2004).]

Try this link. I read the instructions and this is how I have done the last few I caught last fall. Takes practice but they really come out clean.

I also do the additional step of taking out the blood line or "zippering" the fish. Two small cuts on each side of the bloodline on the tail portion of the fillet. Then you rip the meat away from the bloodline. The meat will rip right off the bloodline and then you have two, very clean fillets.

http://it.stlawu.edu/%7Eptri/pikecln.htm

OK Here's the best way I've seen to do it.

Fillet the fish as you would a walleye. Once you've taken the ribs out, lay the fillet with the rib side up. Feel for the Y bones accross the top, and slide your knike into the fillet parallel to the table. Slide the knife along to the back of the fillet underneath the Y bones, you will have to dip slightly as you reach the back of where the ribs were. When done right this gives one complete fillet like that of a walleye, only thinner.

Here's another site with instructions and diagrams. It's fairly accurate. But you'll find that after you get a feel for it you can do it without wasting any usable meat. I can hold the y bone strip up after removal and see throough them.

Y-Bone Removal Instructions

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 04-05-2004).]

Here's a simple cooking tip, one gentleman gave me. POOR MAN'S LOBSTER. Cut your northern pike into 1" chunks. Boil in saltwater till it floats. Dip in melted butter and eat. My daughter always tells me she hates fish. I told her one evening we were having lobster. She bought it, and never complained at all. I still haven't told her. It does come close.