• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle FishMark 480 vs. Lowrance X125 and other graphs

idratherbefishing

Question

Does anyone know why the Eagle Fishmark 480 is $100 dollars less than the Lowrance X125? they look like they are almost identical units, except the X125 has 2400 watts peak to peak compare to the Fishmark 480 which has 1500watts. What real difference would that make on the water? Does anyone have any experience with a FishMark 480 and how does it perform. Thanks for any input

------------------
"Fishing is a condition of the mind in which one cannot possibly have a bad time."
idratherbefishing

12 answers to this question

I bought a 480 this winter and with our flood waters havn't had chance to use it either. Sure hope is works. If anybody has any experience it would be great.

Asked this question at a sporting goods store this weekend. The salesman said the only difference was the power, the Flasher feature and the backside plugs. He said if you have to disconnect the 480 plug frequently from the unit it will wear out within a year. If you leave it on the boat it won't be a problem. The X125 has the Lowrance push on and twist backside plugs. These are higher quality connectors.
He indicated the higher power would help seperate fish from the bottom.
For my use, I bought the X125.
Looks like the grayline is 16 level vs. 10 for the X125

[This message has been edited by Patio (edited 04-06-2004).]

I picked up a new 480 and it works well. Only been out once but I like it.

I picked up a 320 last year and love it. Moved it to the bow this year and put the 480 in the back.

Amazing the improvements over the last couple years.

hey 92python you said you have or will have two depthfinders on your boat? Will you use them at the same time? I have tried that and it sems like they interfere with eachother, with the one with the least power getting the worst of it

------------------
"the quicker you give up the less you will catch but some days you have no other choice"

I ran them both at the same time on the river in depths up to 30' with no interference at all. One transducer on the transom, one on the bow trolling motor.

I thought I might have a problem with this but so far so good.

Another difference between the two is the backlight. The Lawrance has a lithium based bulb vs the regular bulb on the Eagle. The lithium bulb will last much longer. (that is according to some guy at Cabelas)

I am looking at a 480 for my next finder. A lot of finder for the buck.

I look at it this way.. a 480 for example, is 20 times better than the very best fish finder seven or eight years ago. I wonder how in the world people caught fish with out a 480 pixel finder back then??

I'll be returning my Eagle 480. Yesterday was the last straw with the power connnection. It wouldn't work, then just the temp, then just the depth. Horrible engineering and a clear case of cost cutting.

It has six flimsy connectors/"fingers" and no lock n collar like even my old X25 has. Unfortunately, the packaging doesn't allow you to see what the power connection looks like.

The graph as a whole is very impressive and perhaps has too many options, but they don't do much good w/o power.

For those considering, a word to the wise - take a look at the power connection and ask yourself if that is going to last a few years. Mine lasted a few weeks.

Now eyeing the Garmin 250.

DB

Thanks for the tip on the power connection, I am going to check out the Bottomline unit I just bought. Anyone have any experience witht the Bottomline 320 or 480max units??

Jay R

I've got the Eagle 480 Seafinder DF(dual frequency) with the intension of using it trolling Superior.
Only had it out a couple times but find the kHz transducer option lacking. I've found that I'm running the gain close to max in only 60' of clear water, which has me wondering how performance would be in 200' of water. The connectors have rubber lugs and use a compression fit.
With any sounder or electronics I would disconnect the power cable at the battery when not in use.
Doing so cuts down on corrosion at the power socket and plug.