• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor thrust

hawghunter

Question

10 answers to this question

Well, replacing an old 3hp with a newer 3hp will give you more thrust. My question is why you would need such a powerful trolling motor for a 17ft boat?
You will pay less and have adequate power with even a 74lb motor. Heck, a 55lb motor would probaly be ok.

Also, to my knowlege, they do not make the 3hp anymore. Largest is either a 101lb thrust in the Vector, and Maxxum series or a 2hp in the e-drive series.

I'm thinking it’s actually under sized.
Most often it wont keep up in the whities.

Could be that its just that tired.

You’re thinking 74lb?

My brother has a 36lb he is trying to pawn of on me and I’m pretty sure it’s undersized for my boat.

My guess is that the older motor is wearing out. A 3hp motor should zip a 17ft boat along FAST.
You'll only be able to go up to a 55 if you want to stay 12 volts. In 24 volt, you can go to either a 65, 74 or a 101.

A 3hp Minn Kota is huge. I think you need new deep cycle batteries for a monster motor like that!! grin.gif

I had a 50lb bow mount and a 36lb transom Minn Kotas on my heavy 17' and they worked just fine for my needs. The key was good quality batteries to keep max power out of them.

Clitherall, MN? That’s my old stomping grounds. Good lake!! I stay at Bonnie Beach resort about 5 times a season since I moved from Wahpeton

Good point about the batteries. I know I could use a new one. Any recommendations?

Yep, I don't live too far from Bonnie Beach.

The best batteries I have seen/used are the new orbital type batteries. Napa Orbital makes one that is maintanance free, completely sealed, slightly smaller in size, lighter and the power is incredible, IMO. If I ever need new batteries, I will spend the extra money and get them. They are spendy, about $150 each. A good warranty of 4 years too.

If you want decent batteries for a decent price, Wal-Mart probably has the best to offer.