• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowling out west

Going out the last weekend in october to field hunt some canadians and hopefully some ducks. Was wondering how long the birds usually stick around out there. We have about 3 dozen bigfoots and about the same number of shells and a few dozen sillouttes. Was wondering if snows and blues also would react to canada decoys or if we should buy some rags. Went out near devils lake oct. 13-17 and concentrated on mallards and did very well. Hoping for the same type of success. Any info would be much appreciatted. I think were gonna hunt the south west part of the state.

You should run into some good to very good field hunting during this time. I'm not going out till the 1st weekend in November and have had tremendous luck during that time.

As far a decoys I would set out your Canada's as well as placing some rags/snows/blue decoys as well. We like to throw in some brightly colored mallard decoys as well. Do mix them just make them seperate flocks using the same field.

Snows and Blues will come in to Canada's but they usually land in a seperate group and don't mingle.

As far a how long they stay around I would say until all the big water is frozen. Once near Ashley we found about 300 geese sitting on the only open portion of water left in the state. It was solid geese with many sitting on the ice.

Tough to hunt. No cover for 200 yards in any direction. We set up over a hill and called like mad. Had a couple come in but the vast majority just went another way.

Heading out to DL at the end of the month, wundering how hard it is to find a spot to hunt in that area? I have hunted the south east part of the state but never around DL Looking for snows for the main hunt, any info would be appreciated

It was quite easy for us to find areas to hunt out there. Most of the fields are not posted so its legal to hunt them. I would still advise asking the owner just so they know that your out there. I think we are now heading out just west of Jamestown this coming weekend, looking for snows and canadians, picked up another dozen green head gear full body canadas and 400 snow goose rags, was wondering how many you typically use. Hope to find some good goose shooting. Any info abput the area or snow hunting is appreciated thanks.