• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trapping minnows

opsirc

Question

6 answers to this question

It depends on what you want to trap?
Shinners, fatheads, etc
My experience is that the shinners don't start running until after the walleye opener, in my area anyways, but i have seen them as early as May 1st
I've trapped fatheads underneath the ice on small lakes also

How about creek chubs? When do they start to run in the creeks?

I was going to post the same question opsirc. grin.gif But you beat me to it. grin.gif

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

The river minnows are in the rivers, its their home. Right now look to the deep holes if your creek isnt flooded or into the shallow warm slackwater areas if they are flooded. At any rate filling the chestwaders this time of the season is a chilling experience so be careful! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

I havent put my traps out yet .. I was scouting the other day and there are very few minnows moving in my usual haunts yet.. not worth dropping the traps.

I live just west of you .. so we should start to see minnows about the same time. We should start to see a few within a week I would guess... and get better from there.

I'd just thought I'd tell you about a little trick my friend the fish biologist uses.

In ponds and slower water try putting a small chunk of Ivory bar soap in the minnow trap. I think you'll see a difference in the amount of minnows you catch.

Why this works, I have no clue.
mw