• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird Matrix 35....Good?

LocalGuide

Question

Im looking to get a new depth finder for the fishing boat. I fish a fair amount of time in the summer and kind of want a good depth finder.

I really like all the features on this unit. Like the QuadraBeam Sonar with 90º Coverage. The only thing im not sure about is the power. It has 240 x 240 Display, 500 Watts (RMS) Output Power. Is that really enough power? Do you think the pixels are to big, being 240x240?
Sometimes im fishing depths of 100'. But its mostly from 40' to about 10'. Does it have the power im looking for at such depths of 90'?

I was also looking at a Lowrance X-87, X-97, and a X-125.
In your opinion, do you think the Matrix has a advantage over these units?

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

5 answers to this question

500 watts RMS = 4000 watts peak to peak.

240 x 240 pixels isn't bad but for the same price range you can get 480 x 480 with a different brand.

The Matrix is a good concept but packing three displays in a 5" diagonal screen is to much for me.

GPS Ready, meaning you can buy the cable and hook your handheld GPS to the sounder.
You don't gain anything from doing this and now your screen is even more crowded.

Bob/Mn, Thanks for the tips/clearing things up. At first I thought the same as most, this unit only puts out 500 watts. I see now that it is a lot more.

I am also wondering now if the 240x240 pixel display is enough?
I do know that I can get a different brand with the more pixels for the same amount of money. But the reason I like the Matrix is of the 90º QuadBeam. They claim you can see your jig down there b/c of the wide angle. I really like that.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

It's a shame the sonar industery doesn't use the same measurements when stating output power.
Some use Peak to Peak(P-P) while others use Root Mean Squared(RMS)
P-P is ususlly a bigger value and the average consumer thinks they are getting more power for the money
Here are two comverson formulas which may help some.
RMS=0.354xP-P or RMS=0.707 x P-P/2
<BTW> The gain and electronics of the receiver have a lot to do with performance.
I hope this helps some.

------------------